'God will not give a person more than they can bear'

Do you believe the phrase 'God will not give a person more than they can bear' to be true or not?

Personally, I don't. I have always heard people talk about it but I've never found it in scripture. I think people often get it mixed up with 1 Cor. 10:13 "No temptation has seized you except what is common to man. And God is faithful; he will not let you be tempted beyond what you can bear. But when you are tempted, he will also provide a way out so that you can stand up under it." Tempted is a big difference than just "more" in a general sense. I don't believe God ever promised us an easy way. Hebrews 13:5 - But He did promise us that He would never leave us nor forsake us.

What do you think?

pwfaith

Asked by pwfaith at 11:29 PM on Jul. 16, 2008 in Religion & Beliefs

• lol...much like my other response I like to tell myself that he only gives us what we can handle, maybe to help myself to make it through those tough times. There have been many days of doubt on my behalf. But we always pulled through and I think God does help "carry the burden" through faith. I don't know maybe this only makes sense in my mind but anyway that is what I think..haha
    Anubis8733

Answer by Anubis8733 at 11:33 PM on Jul. 16, 2008

• I know that God has given me more than enough over the past few years and I know that some days I know that only God can be the one that gave me the strength to continue because I did not have anything left to give~ So I believe he does not promise an easy life but he has a plan and there are valleys that make us learn, be patient and grow...
    DorothyOpp

Answer by DorothyOpp at 11:34 PM on Jul. 16, 2008

• I believe it.
    Cmyfantasyworld

Answer by Cmyfantasyworld at 11:40 PM on Jul. 16, 2008

• Oh I think he totally gives us the strength to get through anything though! I think we will go through test and trials that feel like more than we can handle but with him we will make it through.

I heard a speaker say once "when God gives you strength it can run out but when God is your strength it never will"

I believe God gave me 1 Peter 1:7 when we had our miscarriages. "These have come so that your faith—of greater worth than gold, which perishes even though refined by fire—may be proved genuine and may result in praise, glory and honor when Jesus Christ is revealed." We are tested so that in our weakness we can see our need for God's infinite strength. Is there really anything a Christian "cannot bear" with God? :-)
    pwfaith

Answer by pwfaith at 11:40 PM on Jul. 16, 2008

• I do think even if it seems like more than we can handle he does always help us find away. I think sometimes when it feels like too much it is because I forget to trust in God and let him lead the way.
    RandRsMom02

Answer by RandRsMom02 at 11:54 PM on Jul. 16, 2008

• I used to believe that until I became a mom. I know that I could never handle something terrible happening to my children like abduction, torture or murder. However, I believe that no other parent would be able to handle this either but we all know it happens so does he give us more than we can handle so that we will seek him for help, love and support? I don't know.
    jeni2671

Answer by jeni2671 at 10:45 AM on Jul. 17, 2008

• I belive he won't give us more than we can bear WITH HIS HELP, i personally have days where i need his help to grocery shop lol but keep in mind it's not about us or what we can handle it's learning to hand it over to God b/c he can handle it all.
    clmelchor

Answer by clmelchor at 10:57 AM on Jul. 17, 2008

• He knows how much each person can handle and he will help you with what you can't.
    sam_h123

Answer by sam_h123 at 1:08 PM on Jul. 17, 2008

• I think if it were literally true then I would not have left the Christian faith after 30 years and become an Atheist. I am damaged mentally and physically because I was hit with more than I could bear. Life makes so much more sense to me without an imaginary deity in the world.
    witchqueen

Answer by witchqueen at 3:04 PM on Jul. 17, 2008

• I think the verse you quoted supports the phrase, "God will not give more than you can bear." I don't think the verse or the phrase means that life will be easy. I think they mean that God won't give us any trials we can't get through with Him. During a very difficult trial one might be tempted to look to drugs rather than God. So, I think the verse means that God won't allow us to be tempted beyond what we can bear including during trials that may tempt us to turn away from God. I hope I worded that correctly, like I said somewhere else, I'm a little fuzzy minded today.
    jollymommy

Answer by jollymommy at 4:11 PM on Jul. 17, 2008