Penicillin for sinus infection?

I have no health insurance and no $$ for a doctor right now. I have a sinus infection, I get these quite a lot. My brother gavce me a full unopned prescription of penicillin. I have taken amoxicillin for sinus infections before, will the penicillin work as well?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:51 PM on Dec. 1, 2011 in Health

• The difference is that Penicillin is synthetically produced. Amoxicillin is a semi-synthetic penicillin drug. Amoxicillin has shown to be more effective. Largely because it is able to handle stomach acid. Penicillin also has to be taken for a longer amount of time.

The danger in taking these meds is that it may not fully beat the infection, and only leave the infection stronger and next time you may need stronger and stronger antibiotics. In fact, it's possible since you get these all the time, that you are never fully curing it without taking a prescription for the entire course.

Anonymous

• amoxicillin is the generic brand of penicillin. as long as it's not expired it's ok to take. some people are just weird about taking other peoples meds, it's not a big deal.
    25MamaBear1986

Answer by 25MamaBear1986 at 1:56 PM on Dec. 1, 2011

• how do you know what you have is a sinus infection?
    why not ask a doc to bill you or set up payments?
    If you take too much/too little of this med,you can get seriously sick

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 2:07 PM on Dec. 1, 2011

• I really dont care that it is illegal, and that wasnt my question. Just wanted to know if penicillin will work like amoxicillin.
    I confess - I order my contacts lenses from a place that doesnt require a prescription, too, as well as taking antibiotics prescribed to my brother when I cant afford a doctor. I am such an outlaw you better watch for me on the FBI's most wanted list! LMAO
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 2:09 PM on Dec. 1, 2011

• I get 3-4 sinus infections a year so I know thats what it is. I have tried to find a doctor that would take payments and I can't. I looked up the proper dosage for my weight and the dosage on the prescription is appropriate for my size.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 2:12 PM on Dec. 1, 2011

• wow, good thing you posted that anon, you realize its against the law to take another persons meds right??? I dont know if the penicillin will help or not
    Anonymous

• weird???? no its it is illegal,,,,,I am in law enforcement and I can assure you that people have been in court for it- yes something as simple as an antibiotic.
    Anonymous

• wow, you are really somethng arent you???? Go ahead take it, no one said you couldnt - hard headed much???
    Anonymous