• In the Spotlight:

At what age did you start giving your baby solid foods? (Multiple questions)

My son is 7 months old and he is still breast/formula fed. I was told that the longer you can put off introducing foods, the higher the chance they won't develop food allergies is. I'm not sure what to do?

Also, what age did you wean your baby from the breast? Mine is starting to bite and it's painful! How did you deal with biting? Did you wean or soldier up and deal? Did you get them to stop? I don't want to wean my son yet, but DAMN it hurts to get bitten!

TheEmpress78

Asked by TheEmpress78 at 1:54 PM on Jan. 9, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I breastfed and gave solid foods. 7 months is old enough to handle solids. I usually started them around 5 mths old or so. Start with rice cereal, once he can show he can handle that introduce one solid food a week to give time to address any food allergies if they come up. That way you know what food caused them if any do.

Answer by gemgem at 1:56 PM on Jan. 9, 2009

• I don't know about weaning but a friend of mine would lightly thump her baby when he bit her and soon he learned bite= thump=bad. We just started DS on baby rice at 4 months and will start a veggie next week so I guess we're starting early. Good luck!
    lvlymummy08

Answer by lvlymummy08 at 1:58 PM on Jan. 9, 2009

• I started solids for both my daughters at 5 months and have encouraged friends to do the same with no problems.
    Sorry I can't help with the weaning questions, my youngest daughter was very comfortable going back and forth between bottle and breast and we stopped nursing at 6 months due to extenuating circumstances. And unfortunately I didn't get to nurse my older daughter at all.
    tat2edmommyof2

Answer by tat2edmommyof2 at 2:00 PM on Jan. 9, 2009

• I started my daughter on solids at 7 months, I have read that you should wait till at least 6 months but no later than 8 months. But, I have heard of people waiting till 1 year, and I think thats fine too. She has just started the biting too! ouch! I would try not to draw attention to it. Because they will start doing it for entertainment. If he clamps down and won't let go pinch his nose a little he will have to release to take a breath.
    alib232

Answer by alib232 at 2:01 PM on Jan. 9, 2009

• I started cerel and fruit at about 6m I introduce it slowly too, He got the same thing twice a day for a week the something new, I had him on rice cerel for about a month before intro. oatmeal cerel then mixed cerel. It worked well for us. He loves all food now at 15m old.I only breast feed for a few months didn't wait for the teeth, sorry can't help you there. g/l
    Anonymous

• The idea behind postponing solids until they are six months is that you wait until their intestines are "closed." By introducing foods slowly, and holding off on foods that are common allergenics (wheat, shellfish, nuts), you will reduce the likelihood of forming allergies (or so the theories go).

As for the biting, I found that a loud yelp helped show her that what just happened was wrong; it would make her unlatch and look at me, and I then would say "no biting." Here's great advice from kellymom.com: http://www.kellymom.com/bf/older-baby/biting.html
    evwsquared

Answer by evwsquared at 3:50 PM on Jan. 9, 2009

• This is so untrue, feeding baby early does not CAUSE food allergys later. the reason they say to wait is that it can be tricky to help a baby who has gone into anaphalactic shock from a food allergy at a really young age. for me i dont buy all this b.s. i started my daughter with rice cereal at 6 weeks (yep i did, go ahead and judge) now at 6 months shes eating stage 2-3 foods and finger foods like biter bisquits with diluted juice every now and then (again go ahead its not like i havent heard it all) all of this was with my docs go ahead. food is not something to fear. as far as weaning i started mixing formula w/ breast milk (3/4 breast milk 1/4 form, then half and half, then 3/4 formula 1/4 breast milk).
    scanamey77

Answer by scanamey77 at 4:46 PM on Jan. 9, 2009

• At the advice of my doctor, we started giving my son rice in his bottle mixed with breastmilk due to acid reflux at 6 weeks. We've done it ever since at night (that seemed to be the worst time for some reason) and he was totally fine. He has slept through the night ever since. Your baby must have cut teeth early so they can eat the biscuits,no? My son has one tooth on the bottom. I may start giving him cereal in the am soon and see how he takes it.

Thank you for your suggestions, ladies! And to the mama who has been judged...I don't judge you. People think I'm crazy for letting my son co-sleep. People think I'm crazy because I'm a selective vax Mama. People think I'm crazy because I put rice cereal in my son's bottle. I don't give a damn. It works for us. To each their own. If that's what works for you, go ahead with it! :)
    TheEmpress78

Answer by TheEmpress78 at 5:10 PM on Jan. 9, 2009

• Hello my friend.... I started my little guy on rice cereal at 4 months. I have had no problems. I did the same with my older two children. With this one, I was only giving it to him once a day for a while and then went to giving him some fruit/veggies also. Once he hit about 6 months, I began feeding him three meals a day. I am still breastfeeding too! I have that issue with biting as well and that is when I know he must not be hungry and I sit him up. He will do this when he is just full and even if he is tired, I will still sit him up and let him drift away to sleep! The biting hurts, especially when he bites and then pulls... OUCH!
    mommylovesthree

Answer by mommylovesthree at 5:55 PM on Jan. 9, 2009