How can I get my 21 month old son to take a nap for longer than 30 minutes?

So my son goes down for a nap at 1 or 1:30 every day and only sleeps for a maximum of 35 minutes. He wakes up screaming, and is still sleepy when I go in his room but I can never get him to go back to sleep. He falls asleep on his own in his crib, but I still have to stay in his room till he's asleep. I know he's not getting enough sleep, but how can I get him to sleep longer?

swtcheeks418

Asked by swtcheeks418 at 2:15 PM on Jan. 9, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• In my opinion you jsut have to let him fuss it out. When he wakes up leave him be to fall back asleep or sit in his crib and play. I came to realize whn my girls were younger that it was'nt nescecarily about how much they slept but that they got time to rest quietly.
    tat2edmommyof2

Answer by tat2edmommyof2 at 2:18 PM on Jan. 9, 2009

• my son used to be exactly like that when he slept in his crib. but now that he sleeps with me in my bed he takes 2-3 hour naps. my bed is low enough to the ground that i don't have to worry about him falling off cuz its only about a foot to the ground. so i don't know if maybe the bigger bed made the difference? maybe he feels more comfortable with more room to move around. hope i helped a little.
    exxOHjackie

Answer by exxOHjackie at 2:51 PM on Jan. 9, 2009

• Couple of things to try:
    Let him fuss until he goes back to sleep.
    Try a different nap time. Yes, he may have been doing very well at this time for months and months. But the start time for naps can (and does) shift. It's one reason many moms think the child doesn't need to nap anymore when he really does... the current start time is "wrong" for the child.
    Put a light in his room on a timer or on a remote control like the new "Clapper". Teach him that he must stay in bed until the light comes back on. The benefit of the remote control is that you can turn it on after he has been fussing for a while instead of being stuck with whatever the timer does.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 3:25 PM on Jan. 9, 2009

• my son is up early in the mornings usually by 6am so i do a morning nap at 11 am and he usually sleeps until 1 or 1:30 but i started taking naps away because he simply WILL not sleep for naps anymore and even more so now that he is in his big boy bed
    Anonymous