When do you make your kids do their homework? Right after school or before bed time?

StaceeyL

Asked by StaceeyL at 11:41 PM on Jul. 16, 2008 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• I think that to do homework right after school is ideal, but in my neighborhood many kids go to many schools-- so I let my child play and wind down. She has been in school for 7 hours so I say let her go and blow off some steam. Maybe visit her friends across the street who go to a different parochial school and the ones down the block who are in public too. That way it is much easier to enforce a "no playing outside after supper on school nights" rule. We eat at 6 and then it's a good time to do 30 minutes of schoolwork before family time, bath and bed at 8:30.
    norfolk

Answer by norfolk at 3:55 PM on Jul. 19, 2008

• I dont have school age kids yet, but ive always figured that i would give them an hour or so to play after school and then have them sit down to do homework. That way they do get some down time.
    Cmyfantasyworld

Answer by Cmyfantasyworld at 11:44 PM on Jul. 16, 2008

• My kids will be homeschooled this fall so there really will NOT be homework, however they did go to Public School last year, and my DS would have homework to do....I always made him do it as soon as he got home from school. Work before play
    SAHMinIL

Answer by SAHMinIL at 11:46 PM on Jul. 16, 2008

• I don't have school age kids yet, but I plan on having them do homework as soon as they get home.
    ProudOhioMom

Answer by ProudOhioMom at 11:46 PM on Jul. 16, 2008

• I get my older two to do the homework as soon as they come home. That way it's done and we get supper started and go off to soccer or girl guides and not have to worry about "Oh no, I forgot to do my homework!" at 8:30-9 PM. Get it done and over with, way better that way. IMO. My older two are ages 11 and 9.
    sammysunshine72

Answer by sammysunshine72 at 11:48 PM on Jul. 16, 2008

• As soon as they get home! Its just easier to get it out of the way. If they fuss about it, I let them play or watch tv for a little while, but it has to be done before dinner and/or whatever practice is that night! I hate checking long division at bedtime!
    drowninginboys

Answer by drowninginboys at 11:54 PM on Jul. 16, 2008

• After he gets his chores done and before dinner. I think he needs a bit of a break from school work, so that's why chores first. Sometimes you need a mental break in order to see things clearly, this doesn't just apply to kids and homework, this applies to all aspects of life! lol.
    feesharose

Answer by feesharose at 11:55 PM on Jul. 16, 2008

• Normally, right after school. I'm not strict, but it is our flow. If something comes up, we do it after that.
    Teachermom01

Answer by Teachermom01 at 9:54 AM on Jul. 17, 2008

• Usually right when they get home, after a trip to the bathroom, change out of their uniform and get a drink. Occasionally we let them have a half hour or so to relax then do homework but my oldest never seemed to get the idea that the break was for 30 minutes only and then homework had to get done. She just wanted to lay around all day. So...homework first thing when they get home.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 1:11 PM on Jul. 17, 2008

• Right when he gets home. Then he has the rest of the day to play,chores,etc.
    Mumjen2

Answer by Mumjen2 at 1:23 PM on Jul. 17, 2008