What are the chances that my baby will be born w/ Down Syndrome???

I am 18 wks, and just got the results back monday from my blood work, which came back abnormal. 1 in 181 is what it said. I had the amnio done on monday night and still waiting for the answers. I am 31, this is my second pregnancy and I'm scared out of my mind. Thank you!!

Tiffany237

Asked by Tiffany237 at 2:31 PM on Jan. 9, 2009 in Pregnancy

• did you take the test for the down? I cant remember but My doc said that it was like 70% false positive. If you are really scared write down all the things you have questions about and ask your doc when you see him next
    CorCorsmomma

Answer by CorCorsmomma at 2:33 PM on Jan. 9, 2009

• With my first child same thing happened to me and I had the amnio and it came out just fine. It was the worst waiting.. I will pray for you...
    lisacieslak

Answer by lisacieslak at 2:38 PM on Jan. 9, 2009

• "what are the chances?" I think it's 1 in 181 chance in your case...

with my 3rd child, I also got results similar. they sent me for a level 2 US and to talk to a geneticist who took a detailed family history and discussed my results with me. She said I showed extremely low risk of having a downs baby. The US showed none of the normal downs deformities. They offered the amnio but I refused it. I had a perfectly healthy and normal baby girl.

Anonymous

• My friend had the same thing and the ultrasound said her baby WAS down. She had her in aug and she isnt down. I also had an abnormal test with my 3rd baby and he wasnt down.

Answer by gemgem at 2:48 PM on Jan. 9, 2009

• False positives are very common with these tests, so try no to worry too much.

Ask yourself this: how much does it matter? Things will be a little tougher, but your life will have no less joy. I know no one dreams of having a child with Downs, but there are a lot worse things that could happen (let alone choices your child could make) that aren't what you'd dreamed, either. I didn't have this testing done because I didn't want to be in your shoes. You can't really do anything about it, and worrying won't really help your pregnancy. :)

You're getting a beautiful baby either way, just remember that.
    KatieCrandall

Answer by KatieCrandall at 2:48 PM on Jan. 9, 2009

• those blood test give alot of false positives i wouldnt worry about it.
    I never had that test done becuz in the end it would make a difference to me and i just didnt wana know if it was ment to be then it was up to god to see us through it.
    Either way like the above post said you are getting a beautiful baby and thats a gift in itself.
    Worse things could happen.
    Anonymous

• Thank you all. I know my tests shows 1 in 181, but just curious of how freaked out I need to really be w/ that reading.
    I will be going back to the dr. on Monday, but results may not be in at that time. May have to wait til the following monday.
    Tiffany237

Answer by Tiffany237 at 2:53 PM on Jan. 9, 2009

• I had a false positive as well with my 2nd son. Had the level 2. Kind didnt see anything but I still worried. He was born just fine. Nothing wrong with him.
    lisa89j

Answer by lisa89j at 2:57 PM on Jan. 9, 2009