can doctors tell about down syndrome in baby at 16 weeks?

i had an ultrasound at 16 weeks, technician said everything looked fine with the baby but i wanna make sure , cause the only thing they said is i had to be rescheduled to see babys kidneys and more things and i have no idea. thanks!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:53 PM on Jan. 9, 2009 in Pregnancy

• I think they can see something, I think it is extra folds in the neck? Something like that.
    CarolynBarnett

Answer by CarolynBarnett at 2:54 PM on Jan. 9, 2009

• I had a baby with Trisomy 18, much worse than downs... Downs is Trisomy 21 but anyways. They picked it up in the bloodwork at 18 weeks and then did an u/s. They could tell then but I would wait until you 20 weeks to be certain. Why do you think about downs anyways? Are you at risk?
    AshJoe05

Answer by AshJoe05 at 2:57 PM on Jan. 9, 2009

• I'm a High risk Ultrasonographer, You can't determine Downs Syndrome by Ultrasound. However, there are "soft Markers" that we look for that may indicate a higer risk for Downs , however An Amnio and CVS are the only procedures that are 100%
    sneekapeek911

Answer by sneekapeek911 at 2:59 PM on Jan. 9, 2009

• I just had an amnio done to test for downs after the blood tests came back abnormal. They say that the amnio test is 99% accurate. Still waiting for the results. Good luck to you.
    Tiffany237

Answer by Tiffany237 at 3:01 PM on Jan. 9, 2009

• thanks :D, but no i dont think i am at risk of having a down syndrome baby, since i think it counts if anyone in the family has it,and in mine there is none, but im just trying to get informed on everything!
    Anonymous