• In the Spotlight:

why is teen pregnancy such a big deal now days?

Back then thats how it was...Baby...married all before you were 18
So why is it such a big deal now
why has the world changed so much and became that stereotypical?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:54 PM on Jan. 9, 2009 in General Parenting

• Just out of curiosity, a lot of women keep saying that teen girls should be out "living their lives" and stuff like that....what if being a mother IS your life?? The main goal of your life?? I'm perfectly content living my life as Mom. While my friends are going out to party, I'm SO happy I'm home with my daughter.

Yes, some girls are being ignorant and downright stupid when they become young moms....
    ...others are following their passions, desires, and dreams. Some have thought it through, others haven't. I don't think there is or isn't a right time to become a mom. There's always *something* when it comes to your age and motherhood. You're either "too young", "too old", "just starting a career", "just until we save a bit more", "too newly wed", SOMETHING. We're all different, but we're all really very much...the same.

madelyns_momma

Answer by madelyns_momma at 7:04 PM on Jan. 9, 2009

• No idea.
    Autumn22

Answer by Autumn22 at 2:57 PM on Jan. 9, 2009

• Because people expect more today of our youth than to just stay at home and breed. (That is not against SAHM's in ANY way).

And "back then" it was MARRIAGE first, then babies. I am no saint, I am not married. But I am also not in highschool getting pregnant and not taking precautions against it because I think it would be cool to have a baby, or because babies are cute...
    CarolynBarnett

Answer by CarolynBarnett at 2:57 PM on Jan. 9, 2009

• Because little girls don't know how to raise children. Because teenagers can't do anything but go on welfare.
    Anonymous

• Because "back then" divorce was frowned upon and didn't happen as frequently today, so even teen parents got maried and stayed married. These days, being divorced or a single parent is extremely common. The odds of getting married, having kids, and staying married as a teen are slim. Teen moms are ulitmately looked down on because the odds are that the mom is going to be raising that baby all on her own, which in today's society where there are less oppurtunities for women without a high school and college degreee, is incrediably difficult. Most people feel it is better to be older, wiser, and in a stable relationship before bringing a child into such a world.
    Danielle720

Answer by Danielle720 at 3:00 PM on Jan. 9, 2009

• I think the bigger deal here is why these teenagers are having babies to begin with. Why ISNT it a big deal that parents are idiots most of the time ??
    Sexy_Mama82

Answer by Sexy_Mama82 at 3:00 PM on Jan. 9, 2009

• Its been a big deal for years. Why? Most teens quit school and live in poverty with the child and that puts the child at risk for other things like criminal activity etc. They are at higher risk for not having a father figure in their lives, living through divorce, moving alot, and also becoming teen parents themselves and repeating the cycle. Growing up, getting an education, marrying the right person etc is always better statistically speaking. I was a teen mom myself and I know that its very hard to have a baby young. You struggle alot and worrying about how you will feed your child when you dont have a HS diploma or JUST a HS dipoma stinks. If youre a teen mom get on birth control, go back to school and try living with your parents as long as possible. I wish I had.

Answer by gemgem at 3:10 PM on Jan. 9, 2009

• Could you define "back then"? 1950? 1850? 1750?

And I totally agree - the parents have to have a huge portion of the blame. I am looking at my SIL's darling daughter, my niece, and I just want to scream. I know that girl is going to get pregnant and my SIL is doing NOTHING to stop it. So maddening! I even asked my niece during their last visit down "Are you having sex" and she of course immediately said "Oh noooooo....."....and yes, I should trust her. But holy moses I want someone holding MY daughter accountable if I'm ever all mopey and not up to it.

(cont)

Wimsey

Answer by Wimsey at 3:22 PM on Jan. 9, 2009

• She is a freshman and her boyfriend is a junior - he and I actually talked on the phone and I said "The shirt stay on and the legs stay closed" . He laughed and seemed like a nice guy - but they ALL seem like nice guys.

Rambling, I know.

Anyway, pregnancy at ANY age is a BIG DEAL so in conclusion 1) the question does not specify the timeline in question and 2) the question misuses the word stereotypical.

Wimsey

• Because teens need to grow up and live their lives before giving life to another human being that will depend on them forever.
    Anonymous