• In the Spotlight:

Can I do a homebirth after caesarean?

The birth of my first son was rushed and business like at a hospital. My doctor even told me he didn't want to stay at the hospital all night just do do a c-section at 2 in the morning. I had no idea what I was doing or what my rights were as a mother so I just went with it. The next baby, I would want to do a homebirth but I've heard it is actually illegal in some states to do a homebirth after a c-section.

burning_woman

Asked by burning_woman at 2:58 PM on Jan. 9, 2009 in Pregnancy

• Okay let's stop with the scare tactics. Yes, there is more risk involved, but it's not impossible. How long ago did you have your other baby? If you are going to do this, You need to choose someone who has extensive experience and lots of training with home births after VBACs. Review their policies with them, ask them to see their degrees, diplomas, and any other qualifications. Ask what their emergency procedures are. Hospitals are not always better. Make sure you are 100% comfortable with them.
    Rebecca7708

Answer by Rebecca7708 at 3:14 PM on Jan. 9, 2009

• I wouldn't do it. There's more risk involved.
    GreekMama28

Answer by GreekMama28 at 3:03 PM on Jan. 9, 2009

• You should ask your dr. In many cases there are problems with VBAC. You need to be in a hospital in case there is any internal probems associated with the VBAC. Not doing that is putting your health and babies at risk.

Answer by gemgem at 3:04 PM on Jan. 9, 2009

• I would go to a hospital and have a doula or midwife someone in your corner to navigate medical options.
    Farrahann

Answer by Farrahann at 3:09 PM on Jan. 9, 2009

• This a very risky decision. There are many doctors that will not deliver VBAC, in a hospital! Your health and the health of the baby need to be your top priority. If you don't like the way the hospital is run, you have the right to check out early. I really think that it is very unwise to even consider this. What if your uterus tears? What if you need another C-Section, and you aren't even in the hospital? Under no circumstances would I even consider this with your previous medical history. Just because you had an inconsiderate doctor the first time doesn't mean that you will be treated badly again. Perhaps the doctor was right, medically, and you really needed a C section. He may just not have had the bedside manner to properly articulate it. You are really risking your LIFE by considering this, and quite honestly, I hope NO ONE goes along with you, just for your own protection.
    Scimecamommy

Answer by Scimecamommy at 3:12 PM on Jan. 9, 2009

• I'm not sure about what the laws are.... but just use EXTREME caution if you decide to go that way.

With my 3rd baby (2nd section), I went into labor & had a uterine rupture & didn't even know it because of all the scar tissue from the 1st section. I was VERY lucky to have had my surgery scheduled for when it was, or I would've lost my uterus & my baby.
    Laura1229

Answer by Laura1229 at 3:13 PM on Jan. 9, 2009

• My sister had her 1st via c-section. Her second vaginal at the hospital and her 3rd was a home birth. She is preg with #4 and this will be a home birth also. All went well.
    luvymom

Answer by luvymom at 3:23 PM on Jan. 9, 2009

• I wouldnt risk that but it's your baby and birth
    AshJoe05

Answer by AshJoe05 at 3:34 PM on Jan. 9, 2009

• They're not scare tactics, it's justifiable reasoning! Yes, it's possible, but because you've had a c-section before you're more likely to need one this time. If you're at home and get into trouble, you're not going to be able to get the help you need as fast, putting both of you at great risk.

This is something to discuss with your doctor and your family, not us!
    KatieCrandall

Answer by KatieCrandall at 3:44 PM on Jan. 9, 2009

• I agree with Katie, that's what I was going to type but I figured I'd let someone else say it. I just don't think it's smart and wouldn't risk the life of your child. I know c-sections aren't the greatest and hospitals are no picnic, but I'd rather not experience a stillborn again. My baby had nothing to do with your situation BUT I know mom's who HAVE lost their babies due to similar circumstances and they just didn't make it in time...... So I'd suck it up and do it at the hospital, so if an emergency happens, your baby will come home
    AshJoe05

Answer by AshJoe05 at 3:47 PM on Jan. 9, 2009