How to keep my cat warm this winter

My cat is about a year old. He's not allowed in the house because of family allergies but I want to make sure he has a warm place now that the winter is really setting in here. My problem is that we live in the woods and I dont want his little warm place to become a warm place for all the forest creatures too! Suggestions?

customcat2000

Asked by customcat2000 at 9:19 AM on Dec. 2, 2011 in Pets

• We have barn cats. They live in the barn and they have a few piles of hay that really insulate them well. On extremely cold nights I place a heating pad in an old dog house and plug it in at the wall by the back door. This has always worked well for us and I live in a brutally cold state.
    Brawnwyn

Answer by Brawnwyn at 9:21 AM on Dec. 2, 2011

• Doghouse. Put dishes of food & water in there maybe some blankets, etc so kitty has a safe place to curl up & nap =)
    Mel30248

Answer by Mel30248 at 9:30 AM on Dec. 2, 2011

• DH built a little cat house for our outdoor cats (we have two...had three, but a dog chased one away and haven't seen him since). Anyway, he used left over siding and insulation from when our house was built and put a heavy cloth flap on the door to keep the winds out. It's lined with carpeting (left over from house) and we put a comfy kitty bed in there. It sits right up next to our house on our porch...we've seem a raccoon or two in there, but have really never had a big problem with it. On those cold nights, when I go out to make sure their water isn't frozen, they'll come out of their little house to greet me.

AllAboutKeeley

Answer by AllAboutKeeley at 9:32 AM on Dec. 2, 2011

• Get a dog house, and put some fleece blankets in it. Just be sure to wash and change it regularly.

Answer by gemgem at 9:39 AM on Dec. 2, 2011

• Outside is no place for cats. Period. Place her somewhere that cares.

Sorry to be brutal about this (Actually, I'm not sorry at all) but it's the truth.
    FreeForAll

Answer by FreeForAll at 10:44 AM on Dec. 2, 2011

• FFA...Our outdoor cats are all spayed/neutered and get their annual check-ups and vaccines. They have plenty of food, fresh water, protection, and a warm (or cool) place to call home. We didn't adopt them and throw them outside, they were strays that we fed because we felt bad for them. If we brought in every stray that comes along, we'd be up to seven indoor cats again and that's just not realistic for us anymore...

....would you rather I call the humane society to come out and get them to put them to sleep 3 days later because they weren't adopted?
    AllAboutKeeley

Answer by AllAboutKeeley at 10:57 AM on Dec. 2, 2011

• FreeForAll .. cats are perfectly suited for outdoor life.. please dont turn a simple question for advice into a debate
    customcat2000

Comment by customcat2000 (original poster) at 1:02 PM on Dec. 2, 2011

• My cats are outdoors and there are plenty of nooks and crannies to keep warm. I do have an elderly older cat in the garage and she has a heated cat bed.
    tasches

Answer by tasches at 2:15 PM on Dec. 2, 2011

• For an outdoor cat we had when growing up we made a cat house lined with styrofoam insulation and put a lot of blankets in also. We eventually upgraded to a dog house with a lightbulb made to heat the small house (I'm pretty sure it was designed as a dog house heater- idk for sure bc I was pretty young. They also sell heated water dishes to prevent water from freezing.
    bloomsr

Answer by bloomsr at 2:20 PM on Dec. 2, 2011