Is it ok for my son to be CHEWING the paint off of his crib?

Ok. new mom here, and my 8 month old is literally trying to eat his crib!!! I'm freaking out thinking he's going to get lead poisening or something like that but my mom and step mom don't think it's that big of a deal. In fact they both laugh at me for being so worried. What gives? This seems pretty major to me! Is this normal behavior? I understand he's teething and all but he won't accept teething rings or pacifiers of anything like that, and I had to ween him early because he would bite me! I just need help.

tadpole37766

Asked by tadpole37766 at 3:28 PM on Jan. 9, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• I wish I had a pic of my daughters crib,it was white,it looked like a big rat had chewed hers up,and that was 18 years ago,and shes fine.I would'nt freak out,I could'nt do nothing to stop her.
    Val504

Answer by Val504 at 3:33 PM on Jan. 9, 2009

• its def. not healthy to chew and actually eat the paint ect.

e.g. our daughters bed is colored white. and the paint is not for eating ;).. even if your sons bed is not colored, it still has laquer on it. but im not sure if it will make him sick - unless he ate the whole bed ;)

but i totally understand you. i would be worried too. please ask the pediatrician about it.
    our daughter never used a pacifier and she also didnt like the teething rings. she would actually take our keys to chew on. i asked the ped about it and she said that it wouldnt harm her. So i just got some keys, cleaned them really good and let her have them.
    m.robertson811

Answer by m.robertson811 at 3:34 PM on Jan. 9, 2009

• I would agree w/ YOU!! I'm sure that there is NO lead in the paint.. BUT still who would want to take the risk?? Better safe than sorry.. Right?? IF it was MY child I wouldn't allow it.. NO matter who was laughing.. JMO...
    honeys_sugamama

Answer by honeys_sugamama at 3:36 PM on Jan. 9, 2009

• Did you ever hear that expession " Did you eat paint chips as a child?" lol i dont think its too healthy but unless its really really old paint there is no lead in it!!
    scaredmommy08

Answer by scaredmommy08 at 3:38 PM on Jan. 9, 2009

• Thanks guys!! btw sorry for posting it in the wrong group. I thought it said 5-8 months!!! lol. oh well thanks for the help.
    tadpole37766

Answer by tadpole37766 at 3:46 PM on Jan. 9, 2009

• Check out these or something like it to protect him... and the crib!
    http://www.teething-teeth.com/Crib_Rail_Cover.html
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 5:04 PM on Jan. 9, 2009

• No......could have lead in the paint. You should be able to get some covers or protectors at a store like Babies R Us.
    Teachermom01

Answer by Teachermom01 at 6:18 PM on Jan. 10, 2009