Do you think this man is in his right mind?

I was browsing my local news website and came across this story. I will start by saying that I am all for holding people accountable for their actions, but this one really took me by surprise. I don't know how this man was ever considered mentally stable. Although, it is Texas. What is your opinion?

http://www.click2houston.com/news/18446923/detail.html

QuinnMae

Asked by QuinnMae at 3:36 PM on Jan. 9, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• Yet again another example of why I totally agree with Ann Richards on actually enforcing execution!!!!! There was another post of how most of the moms on here said they do not believe in execution and that Caylee's mom should not get executed. HA! She is just as crazy as the rest. Remember people they are NOT there just to be there!!!! These things happen more often then you realize. They are sick and should not be in society and we pay all this money in taxes for them to sit in a little cell wasting away. I am suprised they did not see he was mental in the first place. WTH...Texas loosing its edge?? Inject the sickos!
    Anonymous

• He must be crazy. To do that. YUK

Answer by louise2 at 3:41 PM on Jan. 9, 2009

• Crazy or not he still deserves to die! They should pick his execution date and make it as soon as possible. There's no point making tax payers pay hospital bills because he wants to eat himself.
    Anonymous

• WOW thats a very sick story
    symle456

Answer by symle456 at 3:47 PM on Jan. 9, 2009

• That is disgusting and I don't know how sane he was when he began trial but I definitely don't think he should've been deemed capable. I think that he should've been placed in a mental institution for the remainder of his days. I think that it is horrid what he did to that family but how effective is the death penalty, or prison for that matter, if the inmate just doesn't get it.

micrespo

Answer by micrespo at 3:48 PM on Jan. 9, 2009

• Poor bastard.
    Madge1428

Answer by Madge1428 at 3:56 PM on Jan. 9, 2009

• poor bastard/ poor family. light him up or syringe him up i say. him going to the police dept and admitting what he did sounds like he knows right from wrong and he should pay for their deaths and not have us pay for him to live.
    melody77

Answer by melody77 at 4:07 PM on Jan. 9, 2009

• I don't think there is enough brain bleach to erase this from my mind. That being said, I wonder where the line of ethics is drawn in this sand. On one hand, I feel he is capable and should pay with his life for the crimes he committed. On the other, I can't comprehend a sane capable person eating their eye. Just can't. And in this particular case, I feel that even if he is insane that he should be put to death. He is obviously still a danger to himself, I can only conclude that he is a danger to society. Besides, the ruthlessness of the crime he committed wouldn't make him eligible for parole. So we are warehousing him. It's an interesting case to say the least.

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 4:21 PM on Jan. 9, 2009

• Ok..yuck, yea I threw up a little.
    pnwmom

Answer by pnwmom at 4:22 PM on Jan. 9, 2009

• hm if he pleaded for insanity since day 1 do you think he took his eye out in order to pretend he was really insane? i mean he probably is and i know mental illness is a horrible thing and i hope he gets the help he needs. i dont believe in the death penalty, but i do think he needs help
    aliciatron

Answer by aliciatron at 5:33 PM on Jan. 9, 2009