Will you be doing anything to celebrate the year of science?

2009 is The Year of Science, and celebrations of science will be going on all year long. Will you be participating in any? And if so which ones? How will you celebrate science with your children?

Feb. 12th will be the 200th anniversary of Charles Darwin's birth. On Feb. 12, I will celebrate by reading books to my children about evolution, and Charles Darwin, and also by taking them to the local zoo. I am looking for other activities and things to do with my children through out the year to celebrate science and all the advances that have come from it. Any and all suggestions are welcome!

my2.5boys

Asked by my2.5boys at 3:43 PM on Jan. 9, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• No, i don't care what yr it is i live every yr like it's the yr of god for god. he is my salvation and who i believe in and who i stand up for.
    melody77

Answer by melody77 at 4:01 PM on Jan. 9, 2009

• No, not a big science person. Happy birthday to Darwin tho!
    BonesDragonDew

Answer by BonesDragonDew at 4:02 PM on Jan. 9, 2009

• Hmm I didnt know about it. I guess I will be celebrating by getting my degree in psychology LOL

Answer by gemgem at 4:07 PM on Jan. 9, 2009

• I didn't know it was the year of science. What was 2008? Where do people get this information? And, is this question being asked as science being a religion? If so, I will not celebrate any "religious" aspects of science. But science as a termonology is a different story. For example, we can celebrate the invention of the first light bulb - electricity. This is science.
    PSMother

Answer by PSMother at 4:36 PM on Jan. 9, 2009

• LOL I remain ignorant. I had NO clue it is the year of science. But i don't think I'll be celebrating anything. I know it's the Year of the OX coming up, but that's about it. Happy Birthday Darwin!!
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 4:41 PM on Jan. 9, 2009

• http://www.yearofscience2009.org/home/

Here is the web address to the official site if you want to find more about it (like how and why it was started).

No I am not posting this as science as a religion, that would be silly. I also posted this in the Politics and Current event section, but there were specific people I was looking to receive answers from, and I don't know if they would see it there. I also thought I would post it here because of the recent questions regarding evolution and creationism.
    my2.5boys

Answer by my2.5boys at 5:03 PM on Jan. 9, 2009

• I read a lot of science blogs online, that is where I first heard about it. I really like the science blogs because I get to learn about all the cool new happenings within the science community.

Gemgem, what degree in psychology are you getting? I just earned my Bachelors Degree in Psychology last month. Next I will be working on my Master's for Mental Health Counseling. Good luck with that!
    my2.5boys

Answer by my2.5boys at 5:07 PM on Jan. 9, 2009

• I'm a homeschooler --- we take advantage of all these types of things "such-n-such month", "so-n-so year", etc.

I found a website listing "odd holidays" not too long ago that has things like "red popcicle day" or "wear a funny hat day" --- the kids love those!
    Laura1229

Answer by Laura1229 at 6:18 PM on Jan. 9, 2009

• Laura, could you share that site. I'm going to be homeschooling my oldest next year, and that sounds like it would be a lot of fun.
    my2.5boys

Answer by my2.5boys at 6:42 PM on Jan. 9, 2009

• My son and I are going to try to do a science project every other week.
    micrespo

Answer by micrespo at 7:06 PM on Jan. 9, 2009