milk

my son will be a 1 in 2 weeks and im trying to get him to drink milk but he doesnt like it. i have tryed warming it up and i dont want him to have strawberry in his milk but i even tryed that and he hates it. what can i do to get him on milk and leave formula.

mami129

Asked by mami129 at 3:55 PM on Jan. 9, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Introduce it very slowly, it's a tricky substance! I know my sisters, in the past, started working it into the formula, slowly cutting back until it was just milk and he was cool with it. I'm not sure if this is still the ok thing to do, though...Mommies?
    KatieCrandall

Answer by KatieCrandall at 3:56 PM on Jan. 9, 2009

• Try mixing it with formula at first (half formula/half milk), gradually decreasing the amount of formula in the mixture until he's drinking just milk. Oddly, my daughter would only drink cow's milk if it was cold (and she was breastfed so she'd always had warm milk!).
    evwsquared

Answer by evwsquared at 3:58 PM on Jan. 9, 2009

• LOL, ok, that answered MY question!
    KatieCrandall

Answer by KatieCrandall at 3:59 PM on Jan. 9, 2009

• I agree with the previous post. You can introduce it slowly. I tried to introduce it at the same time I used a sippy cup, killing two birds with one stone, trying to eliminate the bottle. Good luck.
    Scimecamommy

Answer by Scimecamommy at 3:59 PM on Jan. 9, 2009

• We were told by our pedi and the WIC office to mix it a heavy formula mix, then half and half, then mostly milk, then just milk. We still aren't there yet, she turns 1 next month, so we are talking about it now.
    Mom1Stepmom1

Answer by Mom1Stepmom1 at 4:00 PM on Jan. 9, 2009

• If they don't take to it, mix it with the formula to get them used to it.

1/4 milk, 3/4 formula
    1/2 and 1/2
    3/4 milk, 1/4 formula
    all milk

Another suggestion is if you still give formula warm to start offering it colder first...get them used to the temperature. So, before starting the mixtures, get him to drink cold formula. Either that or warm the milk each time then get him used to drinking cold milk....

Just give it a few days at each step...
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 4:07 PM on Jan. 9, 2009

• try mixing half and half and move up. Might keep in mind the milk may be giving him a tummy ache may be the reason he does not like drinking it. try soy milk or non dairy.. and it comes in flavors...
    Anonymous

• Give him some almond milk.
    Autumn22

Answer by Autumn22 at 4:29 PM on Jan. 9, 2009