Would it be weird...

I am moving to a very small town in Ohio and I'm currently living out West. I looked up some mommys on cafe mom and invited them to be my friend and sent a short message telling them who I was, that I was moving to their town, and asked if they had advice on a pediatrician. In a couple of the messages, I mentioned that a playdate may be fun, but only if their child was a similar age as my 6 month old. I did this over 3 weeks ago and not one responded at all. Do you think I weirded them out or something? Just checking. :) Oh, and by the way, me and my profile are pretty normal, nothing that should freak anyone out!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:13 PM on Jan. 9, 2009 in Just for Fun

• I've moved and sent out similar messages... I've in all honesty gotten two replies over the past year... You would think this would be the "place" for networking but most women are still not comfortable enough to reach out to anyone. You know the whole cyber stalker thing and people pretending to be who they're not. People are still intimidated by the internet and meeting people off of it and as moms we have to protect our young so they may be even more hesitant to reply... Check to see if the area you are moving to has a group, perhaps you'll be able to reach out to more moms.
    tat2edmommyof2

Answer by tat2edmommyof2 at 4:17 PM on Jan. 9, 2009

• Some people are wary of strangers that's all.

Answer by louise2 at 4:17 PM on Jan. 9, 2009

• YUP- YOUR WEIRD!
    NO IM JUST KIDDING! I WISH WE LIVED CLOSER- I'D TAKE YOU OUT! LOL
    I ALSO DONT HAVE MANY FRIENDS- BUT MOST OF THE ONES HERE- I HAVE ARE SO FAR AWAY WE HAVE TO KEEP TOUCH ONLINE- SOMETIMES THE COOKIE JUST CRUMBLES THAT WAY- HANG IN THERE!!
    KITTYLITTLES

Answer by KITTYLITTLES at 4:56 PM on Jan. 9, 2009

• Where are you moving in Ohio? I am in Dayton, Ohio with an almost 11 month old son.
    TeaAndrews

Answer by TeaAndrews at 5:05 PM on Jan. 9, 2009

• I go on play dates with moms on here often but I am still weary .....but not so weary I wont respond to someone..... Dont know what to tell ya, hon. Maybe see if any of them have actually been online??
    LovinEveryDay

Answer by LovinEveryDay at 5:12 PM on Jan. 9, 2009

• I would be a little wary of someone sending me a message like that, depending on what they said. If you worded it pretty much exactly as you did here, I would have responded. But, if they'd said something like, "I'm looking for playdates, do you want to get together?" I would have probably ignored it, b/c that would be a little odd to me. You could always try again, maybe find some other moms who live in that area.
    tropicalmama

Answer by tropicalmama at 5:39 PM on Jan. 9, 2009

• I don't think you are weird at all, but in these days and times most people are cautious about who they meet on the internet.
    Try looking for a group that is for that paricular area that you will be moving to and get yourself noticed that way. Even if the group is slow you can still post messages about things going on, funny things your child did, or when you will be moving there. You can even ask about the town you will be moving to and get ladies to give you input about where you will be moving.
    If all else fails, try looking at some profiles of some of the moms in that area and see if they have a common interest as you. If so, leave them a message and let them know that you like their profile and would love to chat with them about the area they live in because you'll be living there, too. See what develops from there.
    Best wishes!
    PrydferthMenyw

Answer by PrydferthMenyw at 7:24 PM on Jan. 9, 2009