What is the difference between a new york style cheesecake and regular cheesecake?

JR.MOM

Asked by JR.MOM at 1:04 PM on Dec. 2, 2011 in Food & Drink

• Put springform pan with crust in a shallow baking pan (to catch drips). Pour filling into crust (springform pan will be completely full) and baking in baking pan in the middle of the oven for 12 minutes or until puffed. Please watch your cake because some ovens will top-brown very quickly and if yours does too fast, turn the oven down as soon as you catch it. Reduce the temperature to 200 degrees (see Note below about my baking drama) and continue baking until cake is mostly firm (center will still be slightly wobbly when pan is gently shaken), about one hour more.

Run a knife around the top edge of the cake to loosen it and cool the cake completely in springform on a rack, then chill it, loosely covered, at least 6 hours.
    robinkane

Answer by robinkane at 5:11 PM on Dec. 2, 2011

• Typically a new york cheesecake will have a sour cream topping on it and the plain will not, most people will put a fruit topping on the plain. Also a new york cheesecake tends to be more "thick" and "sturdy"to were you would be able to actually hold the piece in your hand and eat it where a plain would have to be on a plate eaten with a spoon or fork.

sheloveearth

Answer by sheloveearth at 1:09 PM on Dec. 2, 2011

• How it's made? re ingredients?
    tasches

Answer by tasches at 2:03 PM on Dec. 2, 2011

• A good NY cheesecake is very dense and has a lot of cream cheese and sour cream in the batter. It comes out of the oven jiggling and then sets as it cools.

Recipe:
    Crumb crust
    8 ounces (15 4 3/4 x 2 1/2-inch sheets of graham cracker; yes, I am crazy enough to both count and measure) finely ground graham crackers or cookies such as chocolate or vanilla wafers
    8 tablespoons (1 stick or 4 ounces or 113 grams) unsalted butter, melted
    1/2 cup sugar
    1/4 teaspoon salt

Very tall cheesecake filling:
    5 (8-ounce) packages cream cheese, softened (Philadelphia is recommended for cheesecakes but if you’ve had success with other brands, feel free to use them again)
    1 3/4 cups sugar
    3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
    1 teaspoon finely grated lemon zest
    1 teaspoon finely grated orange zest
    5 large eggs
    2 large egg yolks
    1/2 teaspoon vanilla

Directions to follow:
    robinkane

Answer by robinkane at 5:09 PM on Dec. 2, 2011

• Make crumb crust: Stir together crust ingredients and press onto bottom and up the sides, stopping one inch shy of the top rim**, of a buttered 9 1/2-inch (or 24 cm) springform pan. You can fill it right away but I like to pop my into the freezer so it quickly sets while I prepare the filling.

Make very tall cheesecake filling: Preheat oven to 550 degrees***. Beat together cream cheese, sugar, flour and zest with an electric mixer until smooth. Add vanilla, then eggs and yolks, one at a time, beating on low speed until each ingredient is incorporated. Scrape bowl down between additions; I cannot stress this enough as if you do not, you’ll end up with unmixed stripes of cream cheese. I always find at least one, despite my best efforts.

robinkane

• ny cheesecake is uuuuuuuuuuummmmmmmmmmm, regular cheesecake is eh
    shivasgirl

Answer by shivasgirl at 11:55 AM on Dec. 3, 2011