Does anyone know how to reboot a comp or get free virus protector?

I know we have a virus. My dh was looking up a nasty sight (knowing I hate it cuz this has happened before) and he told me all these pop ups started coming up then it shut down. He said we need to re boot it. We have virus protector which is telling us there is a virus but untill we subscribe to it, it wont fix it. Our free trial is up and we just don't have the money to subscribe to it. What should I do about this? thankyou!

maderacaligirl

Asked by maderacaligirl at 4:25 PM on Jan. 9, 2009 in Just for Fun

• Google AVG virus protection. It's free. I've used it for a while now and have NEVER had any problems or viruses.
    feesharose

Answer by feesharose at 4:37 PM on Jan. 9, 2009

• thanks
    maderacaligirl

Answer by maderacaligirl at 4:42 PM on Jan. 9, 2009

• If the "virus protector" you're talking about is not one you put on your machine yourself, then it is likely a virus itself. There is a virus that masquerades as a virus protector, that tells you you have these dangerous viruses, when really it is trying to scare you into buying the software, which doesn't even always exist in reality!

AVG is the best free virus software there is. The free version will even run a scan every day at the same time to make sure you're protected, and tell you which sites have viruses before you click the link in a search engine like google.
    jespeach

Answer by jespeach at 5:16 PM on Jan. 9, 2009

• avast and avg are excelent virus protecters and they're both free
    pleas DO NOT get norton anti-virus, it is the worst thing EVER
    my hubby is a computer tech, so you can pm me if you like and i (or he) can walk you through cleaning your pc
    bi-polarmommy

Answer by bi-polarmommy at 5:46 PM on Jan. 9, 2009

• oh and the virus that is masqueradeing as a protecter is Vista/XP antivirus 2009 (latest edition)
    if you see this on your pc it is a trip to the local pc service store and a complete wipe and reload!
    i would not recommond doing this yourself (thought its done easily enough) cause computer service places can back up your data files for you so you don't lose any info
    bi-polarmommy

Answer by bi-polarmommy at 5:49 PM on Jan. 9, 2009

• Be careful with any fee virus protection you put on your computer some of it is actually a virus. Good luck. That is why I use Mac computers only. Have never had an issue with it.
    JD08

Answer by JD08 at 5:56 PM on Jan. 9, 2009