Has anyone ever had an ingrown hair turn into an abscess? *Graphic/TMI*

I had (what I found out in the ER this morning) was an abscess caused by an ingrown hair in my bikini zone!! It was a HUGE blister looking thing that ruptured this morning and oozed this foul smelling pus and KEPT oozing. I got worried, and went to ER. All they did was lance it and squeeze it, (OUCH) then put neosporin on it with gauze and sent me home with a prescription for antibiotics!! Is this common? Has anyone else ever had it?

babyruby02

Asked by babyruby02 at 4:25 PM on Jan. 9, 2009 in Health

• i am not sure if what i had was that, i researched on the net and just put hot tea bags on it and it went away rather quickly. i hope it all helps.
    ArmyWifeMomof3

Answer by ArmyWifeMomof3 at 4:27 PM on Jan. 9, 2009

• yep... had that happen before. OUCH is right!
    I actually didn't have mine lanced. just squeezed it at home and used neosporine and bandaids.

what sucked most was trying to wear underwear! LOL sounds funny but the wrong pairs would rub and hurt!

good luck and I hope for fast healing for you!
    Anonymous

• yep have had the same thing and OUCH is the only word to say.
    The actually lanced mine and shoved gauze down in it for 48 hours to let it drain some more then i had to remove it ehhh it was really gross and made me quezzy.

hope it heals fast for you.
    Anonymous

• I've only ever had one.. at the top of my thigh by panty line. My youngest son got them constantly as a teen. He has really big(muscular) thighs. Pants are aleays too tight. It would break the hairs and make them ingrown..and some would abscess. How did we solve it.? It was unconventional..but it worked. We waxed the top of his thighs..the most frequent area it happened. He only had like 2 after that. BTW..he was not allowed to wear loose fitting /wide leg pants due to HS dress code at the time.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 4:35 PM on Jan. 9, 2009

• Yeah I have had that happen too, and just dealt with it at home but you are not alone!
    Anonymous

• Yes that can happen and it is painful! Good luck and take care.
    kimchimom

Answer by kimchimom at 5:09 PM on Jan. 9, 2009

• They said it was either that or whats called a Bartholian cyst?? Its supposedly something that is common in pregnancy.... I guess I will never know and I hope I NEVER get another one!! I feel much better now, and only seven more days of antibiotics!!! LOL! Thanks ladies!!
    babyruby02

Answer by babyruby02 at 1:02 PM on Jan. 12, 2009