Is anyone else really scared of giving birth?

I am 27 weeks pregnant and get dizzy at the sight of blood. Shots dont bother me near as bad as getting my blood drawn or an IV. I know I have to get one when the baby gets ready but im pretty scared. I have heard there is lots of blood when you give birth and I heard there is not much more than a heavy period. Any advice on how I can calm myself down? ( I passed out the first time I got my blood drawn for my pregnancy check up) And yes this pregnancy was planned! lol

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:37 PM on Jan. 9, 2009 in Pregnancy

• lol you sound like me. I cant stand the sight of blood and only my blood bothers me i can watch others get theres taken and its no biggy.

There actually isnt that much blood during labor and delivery. You wont see much yes they will do some blood work when you come into the hospital but other then that.
    Yes you do bleed for a few weeks but thats just like having your period. If for some reason you have a c section then yeah there is more blood but you wont see it becuz they put up a curtian so you dont see nothing.
    Relax it will be ok.
    Anonymous

• I was terrified with my first scared of the feeling of it actually moving through the birth canal but I was lucky that the pain was tolerable...(i Did get an epidural later on) and when my daughter came out and they place her on my chest everything else kinda went away. I didnt actually see any blood because of the position they put you in and afterward was like a heavy period...Its not as scary as you would think trust me and they say that u forget the pain and I did...GOOD LUCK AND CONGRATULATIONS!!!
    rhonda111787

Answer by rhonda111787 at 4:41 PM on Jan. 9, 2009

• When your pushing your not even gonna be thinking of the blood let alone even acknowledge it. you will bleed after for a while similar to a period. nothing to worry about.
    Anonymous

• You can see as much or as little asyou want when you give birth. I never saw the blood, actually. The thing I was really worried about was the IV, which I ended up needing at 20 weeks, so I got over it!

The blood afterwards is like your period, just really heavy for awhile.

I was pretty scared of labor as well, but I took my hospital tour and did my research, pretty much everything I could. When the time to go came, I was remarkably cool (I remembered to tell my husband to take out the garbage and start the dishwasher, lol!). Knowledge is power, and the more you're familiar with the less overwhelming it will be when it's all coming at you.
    KatieCrandall

Answer by KatieCrandall at 4:49 PM on Jan. 9, 2009

• It's going to go by fairly quickly, too, so you won't even have time to worry when you're there!
    KatieCrandall

Answer by KatieCrandall at 4:50 PM on Jan. 9, 2009

• I was very scared. Everything was going through my mind. One of my biggest fears was the IV. I have had them before but I am always afraid to move with them in. After being in labor for 16 hours, the IV was the last thing on my mind. I didn't see much blood while he was being delivered but hubby said there was a lot. I was mostly focused on pushing, it blocked everything else out I think. Once you go into labor your mind because very busy with other things :).
    LadyKiki

Answer by LadyKiki at 4:50 PM on Jan. 9, 2009

• You sound like me. LOL I nearly passed out in ICU when I was visiting my sister and they gave her a transfusion. When they draw blood let them know you tend to pass out and would like to lay down while they draw the blood. It helps a lot. Also talk to your doctor and see if there is any possiblity you could opt out of having an IV unless it becomes needed. As far as blood during and after delivery, you won't see any during your delivery. Afterwards, it's like a heavy day of your period.
    LolosMom

Answer by LolosMom at 4:53 PM on Jan. 9, 2009

• look into hypnobabies or hypnobirthing. google it. You can do this, don't be affraid
    Lynette

Answer by Lynette at 5:02 PM on Jan. 9, 2009

• I am looking forward to birth. birth isn't scary, or frightening. It is beautiful and amazing and something our bodies are meant to do.

You do NOT need an IV. If an EMT can put in an emergency IV at 3 am on a dark street a L & D nurse can easily put one in, if necessary, while you are in labor. They are not needed unless you have a medical complication that requires them. You can get plenty of fluids by sipping water, gaterade, etc during labor so if you really don't want it, include it in your birth plan. :)

I didn't notice the blood with my daughter until AFTER she was born, etc and I had to get up and pee haha. It's not that bad at all. I wouldn't worry. I had period like bleeding for 3-4 weeks post partum though.
    celticreverie

Answer by celticreverie at 5:16 PM on Jan. 9, 2009

• i would have someone be there with you too get your mind off of it cause there is definitely more blood then a heavy period more like that movie chain saw massacre not a pretty site if you ask me
    Anonymous