How do I get my 18 month old to go to bed by herself without wanting to breastfeed?

My daughter still feels she needs to breastfeed to be able to go to sleep and I want my boobs back to myself. I didn't mind breastfeeding her but now she tugs and pulls on them and pinches and it drives me crazy. I've been trying to wean her since she was a year old but I haven't been able to... help!!

maymaysmama1231

Asked by maymaysmama1231 at 12:05 AM on Jul. 17, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I would like to know too. My dd is 22months and I'm having the same problem.
    HannahEsmommy

Answer by HannahEsmommy at 12:23 AM on Jul. 17, 2008

• WOW .. does that bring back memories! (lol) my DD is now 7, but when she was 2 I tried several times to quit nursing. She would hold her breath until she about turned blue.
    My Doctor (very cool woman) told me that it was okay .. if she turned blue, she would pass out and when she did that she would start to breath again! EEKS! ** Continued for being to long **
    MommyAdvisor

Answer by MommyAdvisor at 12:45 AM on Jul. 17, 2008

• It took me 3 times to quit, but what I did was bring her down to Night Time Bed ONLY .. Then, I got in the habit of rocking her (can't nurse, because that is only in bed) and then lay her in bed once she was asleep.
    It took a few months of rocking, before she forgot about nursing .. but once she forgot about it, we went back to laying in bed to go to sleep .. I laid with her for about the first week (only if she had trouble staying there) and then after that, I laid her in bed let "her" make the choice of what bed time story we would read so she could go to sleep by herself like a "big girl" .. well, at 7 we still do the bedtime story and she goes to sleep by herself.

Good Luck .. just remember, they are only little for a little while, so enjoy every minute!
    MommyAdvisor

• HEY! my 16 month old is still nursing at night too...i just want him to stop nursing so i can get some sleep..lol..i tried taking away the night feeding and giving him a sippy cup with water,it's hard but he drank it and fell asleep.it is a struggle and their are some days i just want to quit and not nurse,his dr says it is not to eat it is just for comfort since he eats solids...send me a message..well talk since i am going through the same thing...
    joshismommy

Answer by joshismommy at 1:51 AM on Jul. 17, 2008