can my doctor make a mistake when i was told my baby's gender?

i am 21 weeks and i just visited the doctor! they took the longest when i asked can they tell me what it was!! and finally they said it was a boy? can they make mistakes? and has it ever happened?

wayneisha

Asked by wayneisha at 4:54 PM on Jan. 9, 2009 in Pregnancy

• they can, it has happened.... get a 3d ultrasound, thats how to know for sure!
    aliciatron

Answer by aliciatron at 4:55 PM on Jan. 9, 2009

• yes they can make mistakes it does happen and even with a 3d it can happen.
    My friend was told she was having a girl and even had a 3d and they said girl well come to delivery day they were surpirsed to learn it was a BOY.
    lol its not typical that they are wrong but it does happen.
    Im sure you will have another u/s befor your baby is born just ask again then.
    Mommy2B04

Answer by Mommy2B04 at 4:58 PM on Jan. 9, 2009

• Sure it can happen. My dh had a son who was a premie and died and they said he was a girl even up until the day he was born and they did an ultrasound then. With all my kids they were never wrong though.

Answer by gemgem at 4:59 PM on Jan. 9, 2009

• It's actually the tech who discovers the gender. They can make mistakes, but when they see a penis it is usually a penis, because (my friend is a tech) they put the "color flow" doppler on the image and if it has no "flow" it isn't the cord. so it has to be a penis. If the tech has expierence, they are usually good at recognizing the parts.
    sydsmom2

Answer by sydsmom2 at 5:00 PM on Jan. 9, 2009

• ABSOLUTELY!! I speak from experience. Talk about a bad baby shower..lol
    MomToFour247

Answer by MomToFour247 at 5:00 PM on Jan. 9, 2009

• aww thanks guys you've both made me feel soo much better!!
    i guess i'll just chill out on buying clothes for now!! becasue im dying for a girl!! but i still love my boy!! but wish me the luck!!
    wayneisha

Answer by wayneisha at 5:01 PM on Jan. 9, 2009

• Congrats & the best of luck on a healthy new addition ;)
    MomToFour247

Answer by MomToFour247 at 5:03 PM on Jan. 9, 2009

• Good luck! :)

Answer by Bmat at 5:03 PM on Jan. 9, 2009

• It's not common, but yes... it can happen.
    Think of it this way - put a Ken doll and a Barbie doll in a thick fabric bag. Have someone else feel the dolls thorugh the thick fabric and describe to you what they are feeling. Without noticing Babie's boobs and without touching the dolls yourself, how easy is it to tell the dolls apart? Ultrasound is sort of like that. Sound waves are bounced though the mucles and other tissues in your tummy. The bounce off the baby, pass back through the muscles and tissues of your tummy. A machine paints a picture out of those sound waves. A trained technician tries to tell what's what. They are VERY good at their jobs. But they are just people.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 5:03 PM on Jan. 9, 2009

• lol im getting happy and sad at the same time!! what made me think about this was that when i went yesterday the doctor took sooooooo long to find out! so she called another doctor and she took a while then they said" it's a boy!! my cheeks dropped! lol so i think something was wrong!
    wayneisha

Answer by wayneisha at 5:04 PM on Jan. 9, 2009