Is it too late?

My son sleeps in bed with my husband and I. As soon as I put him in the crib he wakes up or sleeps there for only an hour or two. And he's 14 months!!!!! I don't know what to do. its not that he doesn't want to sleep alone because he has slepted in bed by himself (with me watching of course). he has also slept on the couch. its just something about his crib that he doesn't like. He doesn't even go to sleep without me laying with him, some times drinking a bottle, or watching spongebob, or even me patting his back. WHAT CAN I DO?!

ckiss

Asked by ckiss at 5:01 PM on Jan. 9, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• can he get in and out of a bed on the floor? can you put a bed in his room instead of a crib? maybe he just doesn't like the confinement. my ds has a bed, and only a bed, in his room and he loves it. i think we moved him into his own big bed when he was say 20months? it's worth a shot if you have the room.
    nvedwards

Answer by nvedwards at 5:11 PM on Jan. 9, 2009

• my daughter is 13 months old...my hubby and i put her in her crib in her nursery to sleep from day one. since teething, she's now getting her 2 upper teeth, she has her 2 bottom teeth... she is comforted by sleeping on me or my hubby's chest/tummy. but when she falls asleep, we put her in the crib. she'll sleep at night...but, when it's a nap in the day, it's not for long either. sorry, can't really help. good luck though!
    GreekMama28

Answer by GreekMama28 at 5:53 PM on Jan. 9, 2009

• Sounds like my son who will not sleep on his own. We think its the transition from our warm arms to the colder crib. They have a very strong sense of smell and some kids are just more sensitive than others. We have tried everything and what finally worked was using one of those stuffed animals with the blanket attached. I slept with it for a couple of days so that it would get my scent on it. Then when he falls asleep, I lay him in his crib and slowly take my arm away while I put the cuddly blanket in his arms. His pediatrician said a blanket less than 18 x 18 was okay for in the crib.
    sammygrl77

Answer by sammygrl77 at 6:11 PM on Jan. 9, 2009

• Take him out of the crib. If he sleeps in other places, but not the crib...take him out of it. Give him his own bed.

Ours were in regular beds at 15 months....
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 6:34 PM on Jan. 9, 2009

• put him in a toddler bed. if it is just the crib, then maybe he doesnt like the walls.
    kissmiss213

Answer by kissmiss213 at 6:57 PM on Jan. 9, 2009

• my daught always wanted to sleep with me, esp when she was teething or didnt feel well. we put her in a toddler bed and she loves to sleep in there the only thing is she like to slither out of it while sheis sleeping. but she seems better in the toddler bed then in the crib.
    lilbabe3769

Answer by lilbabe3769 at 10:38 AM on Jan. 10, 2009

• I had the same problem when my son was little...the thing that worked for me everytime was this!

Id take three towels and put them in the dryer and get them HOT! Then id Lay the towels in the bottom of his crib for about 5 minutes or so...just until his sheets and stuff would get warm...then Id take the towels out...test the mattress with my hand ( like a warm bottle) and lay him down...Id give him his Paci and tuck the shirt I was wearing into a corner ( so he couldnt suffocate ) and it seemed to work everytime. But if I tried to put him down in a cold crib...he would wake up instantly and cry...we also had the crib right next to our bed until he got used to sleeping by himself...and then eventually we moved his crib into his own room!!
    Kalebs_Mama

Answer by Kalebs_Mama at 4:31 PM on Jan. 10, 2009