I have a travel system carseat and stroller but ds looks like he's getting too big for the carseat. How long are they supposed to last?

And will I have to buy a new carseat and just use the stroller?

lvlymummy08

Asked by lvlymummy08 at 5:03 PM on Jan. 9, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Check the manual for your system. There is some variance between brands. You need to check the height and weight limits. And not every system goes by the "one inch of shell above the head is okay" rule!!! Stick to what is in the manual for safety's sake!

Even if you can no longer use it for a carseat, you can still use the carrier for shopping or in the stroller, though...you'll just need a seat for the car...
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 5:06 PM on Jan. 9, 2009

• Check your carseat.. mine says on the side (Graco Snugride) 22 lbs and 29 inches... so my almost 6 month old will grow out of his soon.
    And yes you will need a new seat... you'll need a convertible one.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 5:13 PM on Jan. 9, 2009

• It depends on the limits on the car seat. We have a Chicco travel system and we took our son out of it when he was 5 months old. He is a bigger kid, both in terms of height and weight, so that is why we made the switch.
    ap9902

Answer by ap9902 at 5:16 PM on Jan. 9, 2009

• I had to buy a new car seat because my daughter is tall...she was not sitting comfortably. We got the Britax CS delux convertible carseat. It's great and I believe it goes up to 60 pounds.
    GreekMama28

Answer by GreekMama28 at 5:41 PM on Jan. 9, 2009

• If you can't find your manual or it doesn't say on the seat, see if you can still find your system online. Try to find your exact one, though, because they upgrade all the time. I also have the Snugride system, and my son is over 17 pounds at four months, 26 1/2 inches tall. I'm not looking forward to getting another carseat, but at least we can still use the stroller for awhile.
    KatieCrandall

Answer by KatieCrandall at 6:00 PM on Jan. 9, 2009