• In the Spotlight:

I have a question about tires.....yes this relates to a 3 year old...????....

Today, while I was getting new tires put on my car, my 3 year old leaned up against one that was in the shop and the wires sticking out of the tire went in his hand. It didn't bleed, just small punctures and scrapes. (VERY SMALL) We cleaned his hand up and I called the doc about the wires because they were rusty. She said that he didn't need a tetanus shot because he had his shots. The hand is a little red but not bad. He is complaining a lot. He won't touch anything with his hand. If he does, he has a meltdown. Has anyone does this before?Should it be this painful? Thanks.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:13 PM on Jan. 9, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• I had a dog brush wire stick into my finger a few weeks ago it can be very painful. He is up to date on his shots so I would just keep and eye on it and keep it clean.
    BubblesB

Answer by BubblesB at 5:19 PM on Jan. 9, 2009

• Well, yeah, if his hand is punctured with those wires, its going to definitely hurt. See if you can get him to hold ice on it(little things work miracles) The tetanus shot is good for 10 years so at least he is ok on that part.Just watch him and try to get his mind off of it.If it gets worse,like oozing ,call the doc again and tell him why.
    Kat122

Answer by Kat122 at 5:20 PM on Jan. 9, 2009

• Well, I did put my hands on a tire. It does hurt but he might be over reacting. Have you tried asking him to hold something when his mind was on something else. Like if he likes to help clean ask him to help and then ask him to hold something. If he cries then then you might want to have it checked. There might have been a barb that got in there. Can you see anything like when you have a splinter? just see first if it is something that if he is not thinking about it it does not hurt then if it does you might take him to the dr to have it looked at.
    tichelle

Answer by tichelle at 5:20 PM on Jan. 9, 2009

• Try some Neosporing plus Pain relief-this will kill the germs, help it heal, and relieve some of his pain! Good luck!
    Tricia19

Answer by Tricia19 at 5:27 PM on Jan. 9, 2009

• If he is still complaining that it hurts tomorrow or if it's still red I would bring him in. He may be protected from tetanus, but he could still develop a cellulitis (skin infection) which would be red, painful, often swollen.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 5:47 PM on Jan. 9, 2009

• Sometimes the smallest cuts and scrapes seem to be the most painful. Just keep an eye on it and make sure it doesn't start looking infected (stays red or the redness spreads, puss... you'll know).
    Silvertears1275

Answer by Silvertears1275 at 9:23 PM on Jan. 9, 2009

• Keep it clean. My son got a sliver in his foot and pulled it out without telling me. Three days later, he had a red line running up his foot and we had to bring him to the ER.
    MBsMom2004

Answer by MBsMom2004 at 11:59 PM on Jan. 9, 2009