How can I....

treat a cough and cold for a one year old? No meds, just home remedy type stuff?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:26 PM on Jan. 9, 2009 in General Parenting

• Elevate the head of the bed.

Run a humidifier or vaporizer in the room with him/her. (steam works better for some, cool mist better for others)

Steam in the bathroom...turn into a sauna. While in there and the nose is running...snot sucker!!

Ayr drops (or other saline nose drop...not a medication!) at each diaper change. If you can see anything lose in there, suck it out

Plenty of fluids.

The only other thing is Tylenol for discomfort, but you asked for no meds...
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 6:24 PM on Jan. 9, 2009

• for the cough i would give my child warm whole milk with some honey. for a cold, well i would say baby tea (especially fennel helps for everything: cold, teething, belly ache ect) and of course lots of fruits and veggies

toddlers with a cold, or sick babies/toddlers in general need to drink a lot (tea, juice ect.) and eat lots of fruits/veggies (for the vitamins).

All this stuff is what we give our daughter all the time and she NEVER has been sick before :)
    m.robertson811

Answer by m.robertson811 at 5:30 PM on Jan. 9, 2009

• Before they go to bed, we put vicks rub on our children's feet and then a pair of socks. It seems to soothe the cough and helps them sleep better. They make a children's vicks rub too.
    BlessedMommy64

Answer by BlessedMommy64 at 5:41 PM on Jan. 9, 2009

• Yeah, someone told me about that today (putting it on their feet with socks). I'm more than a little baffled by why that woud help, but......can't hurt, right?
    DusterMommy

Answer by DusterMommy at 5:46 PM on Jan. 9, 2009

• Plenty of fluids. Run a humidifier in the bedroom. I add a few drops of eucalyptus oil to the water in the vaporizer, which helps with breathing too. When my daughter was younger than 1 year, I would have her sleep in her car seat because it was the only way I could get her to sleep with her head up (she's a gymnast in bed, so I can't elevate one end of the bed!).
    evwsquared

Answer by evwsquared at 6:29 PM on Jan. 9, 2009