when did you take away the bottle and the pacifier?

how long did it take did you have a plan did it work?
my son is 9 months and i am starting to plan now. he uses a sippy cup to for juice.

momavanessa

Asked by momavanessa at 5:38 PM on Jan. 9, 2009 in General Parenting

• On my son's first birthday, I took both away. And the transition was actually quite easy. I took his binky away when he was asleep and then we threw the bottles out together and he could only use the sippys.
    TheDiva320

Answer by TheDiva320 at 5:39 PM on Jan. 9, 2009

• With my daughter and son we never used a paci. They didn't want it, so I didn't force it. With my daughter we took away the bottle as soon as she turned 1. With my son, well he's about to turn 2.5, and my friend took his bottles away from him LOL! He does drink out of cups, but still likes a bottle for nap and bed :) Plus he's my baaaaaaaaaaby and I don't really care if he has a bottle or not ;)
    prettyrayray

Answer by prettyrayray at 5:39 PM on Jan. 9, 2009

• my son is 9 months old and today i bought a bunch of sippy cups and he's offically done using them. he doesn't have a problem with sippy's so why does he still need a bottle? he doesn't so he can just drink his formula out of the sippy. i even asked the pediatrician today and he said thats fine :) but he also said my son is more of a toddler than an infant so idk?! i'd say if he isn't have problems go ahead and give him all sippys.
    krazyash023

Answer by krazyash023 at 5:40 PM on Jan. 9, 2009

• well, our daughtere NEVER used a pacifier, so we didnt have to take any away... the bottles we stopped using when she was almost 1 year old. now if she wants to drink, she does that from a straw or a reg. cup. she also never used sippy cups, she hates those. hehe

if there is nothing but a sippy cup than your child will use it.. sooner or later ;)

and the pacifier. my dentist told me to just take them all away.. throw em away and make sure your child wont see a pacifier for at least 5 days. those are going to be some rough 5 days for you, but in most cases it will work :)
    m.robertson811

Answer by m.robertson811 at 5:45 PM on Jan. 9, 2009

• The day before their first birthday, I took the binky away. I cut a hole in the end of it and they couldn't get a suction, so they didn't want it anymore. It worked like a charm. I started weaning them from the bottle when they were about 10 and a half, maybe 11 months, gradually. I was nursing too, so it wasn't that big a deal. By the time they were 13 months, they were both completely off the bottle.
    Bethsunshine

Answer by Bethsunshine at 5:45 PM on Jan. 9, 2009

• Your doing a good thing with the sippy cups. I never associated bedtime with bottles with my youngest. So, bottle breaking her was super easy. I just slowly phased out the bottle at about 11 months and she was off the bottle by her first bday. She did have a pacifier and we phased that out with the sippy cups. she was done with that by her 1st birthday.
    mistynights234

Answer by mistynights234 at 5:47 PM on Jan. 9, 2009

• I also took the bottle from mine when they turned one I think the younger they are when you take it away the easier it is.
    mom2four25

Answer by mom2four25 at 5:59 PM on Jan. 9, 2009

• My oldest was 13 months when we completely took his bottle. He started using a cup around 10 months through the day but took a bottle at bedtime til then. He still has a Nuk. He's 30 months. I see no reason to take it from him. He only uses it to sleep. His therapist and doctor both agree that since he uses it as a "comfort" we shouldn't force it.

My baby is 16 months now. He has never had a bottle or a Nuk. He refused both from day one.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 6:10 PM on Jan. 9, 2009

• Bottle was gone at 6 months. As soon as they showed they could drink from a sippy, the bottles were GONE. I think it took about a week for them to pick it up?

The pacifier....for my oldest we took it away at 13 months, the second we took at 10 months (baby was due in a couple of months, but born in one! lol) and the third we took away at 4 months. (he had a very weak suck and couldn't keep it in his mouth)
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 6:16 PM on Jan. 9, 2009

• My son never took a pacifier. He did love his bottle though. But I never took it away. I waited for him to be done with it. He is 2.5 years old and just threw away his bottle himself a month ago. He used a sippy or cup for everything but milk, milk had to be in a bottle. I see no point in rushing a baby off of the bottle since a sippy is the same exact thing except it looks more adult.
    purpleducky

Answer by purpleducky at 6:20 PM on Jan. 9, 2009