Home remedies?

What are some things I can do for my one year old daughter, who has a bad cough and a runny nose? I need advice especially for night time.

She keeps waking up about 2-3 after going to bed, and it takes me 2 hours at least to get her back to sleep.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:10 PM on Jan. 9, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Elevate the head of the bed. (we fold a towel and put it under the mattress)

Saline nasal drops and a snot sucker.

Humidifier or vaporizer (depends if she does better with cool mist or steam)

Steam in the bathroom for about 20 minutes and suck the snot.

Tylenol for discomfort.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 6:39 PM on Jan. 9, 2009

• try a humidifyer.
    TheDiva320

Answer by TheDiva320 at 6:12 PM on Jan. 9, 2009

• put a pillow so she is proped up. that helps the mucus not to drain into her throat which makes her caugh. i give mine a bath and it clears his nose he will usually sleep for at least 4 hrs.use a suctioner to take out all the mucus.
    rosepetalluv

Answer by rosepetalluv at 6:17 PM on Jan. 9, 2009

• We put Vicks rub on the bottoms their feet and a pair of warm socks. It seems to soothe the cough and helps them sleep better.
    BlessedMommy64

Answer by BlessedMommy64 at 6:24 PM on Jan. 9, 2009

• Has she been to the doctor to make sure she don't have some kind of infection? I give my kids honey. Also, when I was little my mama would give me a teaspoon of dry sugar. I've tried it for my kids when I didn't have honey and it worked pretty good. The vicks on the feet helps and also you can rub it on her chest. I would keep a watch and make sure her cough don't get dry, that could casue more problems. hope your little one gets to feeling better!
    TammyG.

Answer by TammyG. at 7:55 PM on Jan. 9, 2009

• I read somewhere that honey and lemon was actually proven to work better for coughs than cough syrup. Just make sure your child is old enough. It can poison children under 1.
    Anonymous

• I recently received an e-mail that reccommended putting vicks vapor rub on your childs feet and then putting socks on. They said that we absorb alot through our feet and this helped quiet a cough almost instantly and keep them quiet for many hours. i'm planning on trying it next time my daughter gets sick. (knock on wood! :) lol ) Good luck, hope it works!
    deniselvt

Answer by deniselvt at 3:18 PM on Jan. 10, 2009

• We use Highland's (same people that make the teething tabs) Hepar Sulph. Calc. homeopathic tabs.
    PhilsBabyMama

Answer by PhilsBabyMama at 12:06 AM on Jan. 11, 2009