Help please!

Okay so this is a little weird but I live with my grandparents in a suburb of Chicago. Well we have this REALLY weird, nasty neighbor who likes to get us in trouble for some reason. Just today my uncle, my cousin, and my grandfather were shoveling snow and they were piling it onto OUR grass that separates our house from our neighbors house and well she came out screaming saying she is going to call the police because she didn't like where we were shoveling snow and too many people live at our residence. Well, so quite a few people live here but is there really a law on that? My uncle is visiting from Florida so he is staying here part of the time, other than that there are 8 people living here total but its a HUGE house with 5 bedrooms and 2400 square feet. Can we really get in trouble? This neighbor has mental problems, really. We didn't do anything wrong. What would you tell the police?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:22 PM on Jan. 9, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• Just tell the police that your uncle is visiting, I honestly dont think there is a law on how many people can live in a house.
    Anonymous

• I live in a sub. of Chicago too. As far as I know, there isn't a law about how many people in a dwelling, unless your renting, and the lease stipulates how many people can live there.
    my4lads

Answer by my4lads at 6:25 PM on Jan. 9, 2009

• No, we're not renting. I live in Elmhurst, have you heard of it?
    Anonymous

• Yeah, I live in Oswego, but I grew up in Aurora
    my4lads

Answer by my4lads at 6:46 PM on Jan. 9, 2009

• If you own your own home I don't believe that there is any law that stipulates how many people can reside in your home and I know that if you rent in Cleveland the stipulation is 2 people per bedroom.
    micrespo

Answer by micrespo at 6:52 PM on Jan. 9, 2009

• she must be crazy! if she continues to harass your family, get a restraining order against her. She won't be able to harass you after that unless she wants to go to jail.

has she always been so crazy and hateful?
    Anonymous

• I do not believe that there is a law. I would honestly tell the police what happened, chances are they will just let it go and talk to her about abusing the system.
    Best of luck...we have crazy neighbors here too! :-)
    NewMommyin06

Answer by NewMommyin06 at 6:59 PM on Jan. 9, 2009

• There are laws about it, if you rent. The rule around these parts is 2 per bedroom. If you own it, well, they cannot do a thing about it. Within reason.
    Fiveofakind2

Answer by Fiveofakind2 at 7:13 PM on Jan. 9, 2009

• Thank you all for the help! YES She's always been like this! She even drove herself to a heart attack when she was only 37 years old because she's so crazy! Poor thing, but she's taking things way too far! :(
    Anonymous

Anonymous