how long does it take for your milk to dry up?!

I am not breastfeeding and my babies are a few days old. How long will it take for the milk to dry up? I know everybody is different, but an around about timeframe is good for me. My milk just came in and boy does it hurt! I'm going to try the cabbage leaf thing (that's what my doctor suggested) and if anybody has any other tricks that will help relieve the pain, by all means, I'm open to suggestions! Thanks a million!

mommystiebler

Asked by mommystiebler at 6:32 PM on Jan. 9, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• My daughter is two weeks old today, I'm exclusively formula feeding, and I'm able to wear shirts without a bra around the house now. I'm not leaking unless I lay on my tummy, then I think the pressure causes them to leak a little. During the first week I wore tight sports bras and used cabbage leaves around the clock. The engorgement was HORRIBLE, to say the least. But it went away almost as fast as it came, and now my boobs are pretty much back to normal. I know I'm not completely dried up yet, so I still use nursing pads when I go out in public.
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 9:56 PM on Jan. 9, 2009

• My Dr. told me when I quit, to put a tight sports bra or ace bandage on them to compress "the girls"! Don't let hubby touch em a month and don't let the shower just spray down on them, just let the water run over your shoulders and rinse them that way. He says it takes about a month to fully dry up.

Navymama

Answer by Navymama at 6:34 PM on Jan. 9, 2009

• Mine was around 3 months. There are lots of reasons why it can but my doctor thought mine was because i didn't drink enough water. He said that water just keeps the flow going.
    kinzleysmommy

Answer by kinzleysmommy at 6:36 PM on Jan. 9, 2009

• mine took about 3 months. go ask your pharmacist. there's creams and stuff to help with the pain and drying them up. also, keep them tight, they'll dry up faster.
    MommyToJessica

Answer by MommyToJessica at 6:51 PM on Jan. 9, 2009

• There are alot of over the counter things you can use. There are creams, teas, and even pills. Mine dried up without my wanting...I got clogged milk ducts in both breast and I was unable to nurse or pump because of the imense pain. I hope you can find something that works for you and is not painful
    Sarah_ponder

Answer by Sarah_ponder at 6:57 PM on Jan. 9, 2009

• wear a really fitting bra and dont stimulate them. cold cabbage leaves
    calliesmommie

Answer by calliesmommie at 7:10 PM on Jan. 9, 2009

• The pain is God's way of reminding you what you should be feeding babies. Why not pump and feed babies that or even donate it to those that need that golden miracle juice? There is even a milk share group here on cafemom. You may be able to help a fellow mother from down the road.  Think about it because there are a million reasons to breastfeed and only a very few not to, hence formula being a medical intervention.

Anonymous