Cloth Diapers?

Has anyone used cloth diapers instead of Huggies, Pampers, etc? If so what kind and did you like them? How well did they work? Where did you get them at? I am trying to find cloth diapers that are worth purchasing. Thank you!

JD08

Asked by JD08 at 6:33 PM on Jan. 9, 2009 in General Parenting

• Nanny, you'd be SHOCKED at the changes since then! :)

I've been cloth diapering my son since birth. I have lots and lots to say on the topic, but I think that every mama needs to take stock of WHY they want to cloth diaper. If it's because it's so incredibly less expensive than disposibles, the cheapest way is prefolds and covers. Period.

If you like the cuteness of some of the cloth and the environmental aspects and don't mind spending a little more cash on your outlay, there are TONS of options. In addition to Cuties with Cloth Booties there's also "Cloth Diapering Mamas" and a couple of other groups out there.

For me, I think I'd still use a mix of prefolds & covers, pockets and All-in-ones (AIOs). I like trying one of every brand, honestly. I like having a mix. :)
    Avarah

Answer by Avarah at 9:29 PM on Jan. 9, 2009

• LOVE THEM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! i like good mama's and bum genious and swaddlebees!!!!! get like 15 fittedand 5-10 all sizes!!!! :]
    aliciatron

Answer by aliciatron at 6:45 PM on Jan. 9, 2009

• I'm VERY new to cloth diapers, in fact, I'm still waiting for my firsts, but am TOTALLY excited about them. I'd strongly suggest joining "Cuties with Cloth Booties" - http://www.cafemom.com/group/34752  This group was a huge help to me when I first started looking into them!

dedicatedrider

Answer by dedicatedrider at 6:46 PM on Jan. 9, 2009

• I have 24 Happy Heiny's. I am on the fence. I go through periods when I think they are great other times when I think they are more trouble than they are worth. Of course being a mom to 3 soon to be 4, it's easy to get overwhelmed at times so that may have something to do with it. We invested a lot into ours so I feel obligated to make it work.
    sarabear524

Answer by sarabear524 at 7:03 PM on Jan. 9, 2009

• I used them for 6 months, have been using Seventh Generation and Nature's Baby (compostable) disposable, and tomorrow I'm going back to cloth. She's 17 months. :)
    Autumn22

Answer by Autumn22 at 7:05 PM on Jan. 9, 2009

• I use several, try some different one's out before you commit to one brand. I use the prefolds with thirsties covers, and my other favs are bungenius3 and fuzzibunz.
    AmandaH321

Answer by AmandaH321 at 8:36 PM on Jan. 9, 2009

• When my children were babies, disposable diapers were just coming on the scene. Our oldest child was allergic to the first Pampers, and they were expensive, so I continued to use cloth diapers with him and with the other two. I liked using them. I liked hanging them out in the sun on nice days because it left them smelling fresh and clean. I kept a diaper pail in the bathroom, rinsed them out in the commode and then dropped them in the pail which had soapy water in it. When I had enough for a load, I simply emptied the whole thing into the washer, put it on the spin cycle, and then washed them. Back then Curity and Birdseye were the two best brands.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 9:22 PM on Jan. 9, 2009