Christmas gifts for classmates

My dd is in 1st grade and last year we didn't do gifts for her classmates, but she came home with several presents from her classmates. I have no income right now and not sure what I should do for her classmates.

Do your kids take gifts to their classmates?
Any suggestions on INEXPENSIVE gifts for her classmates or how I should handle the situation?

MChildressDem

Asked by MChildressDem at 9:51 PM on Dec. 3, 2011 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Snowman poop!

http://www.kidsturncentral.com/holidays/christmas/ccrafts2.htm
    Anonymous

• You can take a box of candy canes, add brown pipe cleaners to use for antlers, googly eyes, and a tiny red pom pom for a nose on the candy cane to make Candy Cane Reindeer. You can probably google the actual directions.

Answer by missanc at 10:05 PM on Dec. 3, 2011

• I've been teaching for 5 years and have never seen students exchange gifts. I personally would not buy gifts for my DD's classmates. I've got my own family to buy for.
    Anonymous

• Have her make a sweet card and put a candy cane on it, there is really no reason a child should need to buy for all her classmates but since they seem to have done so...that should be sufficient. If the candy canes are an issue (and yes, I have beena t a point where I didnt have the dollar it wouldhave takent o buy them) if you have construction paper help her make an ornament - or the foam sheets or if you have ornaments that are shatterproof you couldlet her decorate them (walmart has some in a set for 97 cents as well ( they are roind and I believe there are 12 to box)
    luvmygrandbaby

Answer by luvmygrandbaby at 9:54 PM on Dec. 3, 2011

• I've done the shatter proof ornament thing. You can use a Sharpie marker to print Merry Christmas 2011 from....dd's name
    mamalilli

Answer by mamalilli at 10:41 PM on Dec. 3, 2011

• I have never bought gifts for all of my children's classmates. We have exchanged with certain friends of theirs but never a whole class.
    bcauseimthemom

Answer by bcauseimthemom at 11:06 PM on Dec. 3, 2011

• all we ever did was candy canes...
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 1:22 AM on Dec. 4, 2011

• Gifts, no. I think that is a bit much. I would just pass out candy canes too.
    Christine0813

Answer by Christine0813 at 8:43 AM on Dec. 4, 2011