Would you make your child clean something over and over

until it is up to your standards when they do chores or is it the effort that matters?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:41 PM on Jan. 9, 2009 in General Parenting

• No I would not. As long as it is done then okay. Do you have the same standards of clean as say your clean freak neighbor, your obsessive compulsive mother-in-law, or your slack happy best friend? No. So if you want something done right (or your version of right) do it yourself. If your goal is just to teach responsibility and being responsible around the house, as well as have things reasonably clean and tidy, then NO do not make them do it over and over again. The definition of insanity is doing thing the same way each time and expecting different results. It only teaches resentment not overall satisfaction to your standards.

frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 6:59 PM on Jan. 9, 2009

• It depends on the age and what the task is. If it's a 7 year old picking up toys yes...if it's a 13 year old dusting yes. But if it's a 6 year old cleaning the bathroom then no
    Anonymous

• It has to be clean. If a job is half-assed, then they need to do it over. I'm not raising them to be lazy. Do it right the first time, and you will save time in the end because you don't have to go back and clean spots you missed.
    Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 6:43 PM on Jan. 9, 2009

• NO I would not.....I base my standards for my childrens chores on if I know they tried their best.

For instance my son folds the towels.....and they are messier than I would do it....but I know he is trying and in reality....it doesnt matter if they are a little messy.....

If you badger them to death about YOUR standards than they will despise helping.
    mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 6:43 PM on Jan. 9, 2009

• yeah it depends on the age and how much effort, if ican tell they tried their hardest then no i wouldnt make them keep doing it but if i can tell they half a**ed it then yes
    aliciatron

Answer by aliciatron at 6:44 PM on Jan. 9, 2009

• It depends on the age and the chore. When they're young your teaching them the basics of that chore and the concept of chores. When they're older the get the concept of chores, even though they may not like them...but they should do the chore properly. Yes I would and do make my son's do something over again if they don't do it right the first time. Which ties into another valuable lesson....Do it right the first time and you won't have to do it over and over again......LOL
    happy2bme7

Answer by happy2bme7 at 6:45 PM on Jan. 9, 2009

• Yes, I would make them clean it again if it were not up to my standards for their age. They don't have many chores, but to make sure their pets are fed and loved and to clean up their own messes. If I tell them to clean the room so it can be vacuumed and they don't pick up the legos that are everywhere, they have more work to do.
    drowninginboys

Answer by drowninginboys at 6:47 PM on Jan. 9, 2009

• Nope I dont do that. I show them how to do things, and for the most part they try. If they make a good effort I dont feel the need to make them feel like they are my slaves. It is my job to clean the house, it is their job to be kids and go to school.

Answer by gemgem at 6:47 PM on Jan. 9, 2009

• yep I would and I do. Any job doing is worth doing right. my kids don't start doing "chores" until they are 10 and then it starts with the trash, take it out replace the bag. then they help me clean their rooms, they learn to sweep the lino in the kitchen. .Chores progress over the next 2 years until they know how to clean a house and do their own laundry. they are assigned daily chores and weekly chores and recieve an allowance for each one that is completed to my satisfaction. My boys will not think that a woman is to do all the house work, and my girls will not have to rely on a man to plunge a toilet or change a light bulb, or the oil in her car for that matter. they also start cooking at around 8ish.
    allensavannahs

Answer by allensavannahs at 6:53 PM on Jan. 9, 2009

• It depends upon the age and the chore. I will ask my 21 month old to throw something in the garbage and she does. If the top of the garbage can doesn't close properly am I going to get my panties tied in a knot? No. She learned the lesson I was trying to teach her. It depends upon whether you are trying to teach them responsibility or control them so that they do things your way.
    evwsquared

Answer by evwsquared at 7:05 PM on Jan. 9, 2009