Edit==Obama delivers very Christian message at Christmas tree lighting {THOUGHTS ON HIS MESSAGE? AS A CITIZEN? APPROPRIATE OR NOT?}

By Dan Gilgoff, CNN.com Religion Editor

(CNN) - President Barack Obama delivered an unusually stark Christian message at the White House Christmas tree lighting Thursday night, saying Christ's message "lies at the heart of my Christian faith and that of millions of Americans."

"More than 2,000 years ago, a child was born to two faithful travelers who could find rest only in a stable, among the cattle and the sheep," Obama said at the tree lighting ceremony, a longstanding White House tradition.

"But this was not just any child," Obama continued. "Christ’s birth made the angels rejoice and attracted shepherds and kings from afar. He was a manifestation of God’s love for us."

Obama has been more public and specific about his religious beliefs since polls last year showed that only a minority of Americans know he is Christian. Last Easter, Obama got unusually specific about his beliefs on Christ's resurrection at a White House prayer breakfast.

Some conservative Christian leaders have questioned Obama's Christian faith, even though Obama got his start in politics through church-based political organizing and has written about accepting Jesus in his 20s.

Last month, South Carolina Christian conservative leader Bob Jones III told a reporter “I’ve no reason to think (Obama is) Christian."

“Some people will say whatever they think the politically helpful thing would be,” Jones said. “I say, ‘Where is the evidence that he is a Christian?’ ”

In his remarks at Thursday's tree lighting, Obama said that Jesus "grew up to become a leader with a servant’s heart who taught us a message as simple as it is powerful: that we should love God, and love our neighbor as ourselves."

"So long as the gifts and the parties are happening, it’s important for us to keep in mind the central message of this season," he said, "and keep Christ’s words not only in our thoughts, but also in our deeds."

vntNyll

Asked by vntNyll at 7:20 AM on Dec. 4, 2011 in Religious Debate

• It's an election year and some of his base has left him. He wants to appeal to those who otherwise not vote for him with all the "He is a Muslim" rumors out there.

Answer by gemgem at 7:25 AM on Dec. 4, 2011

• Obama has the right to be Christian. He has the right to express his Christian beliefs. What he can not do is have congress make a law respecting an establishment of a religion or prohibit the free practice of any religion.

If you agree with your 1st Amendment right, you have to allow the President of the United States be able to use his freedom of speech and freedom of religion the same as you.

It seems to me that people want the Bill of Rights to apply to them, but not to others with which they disagree.

I know that some people can argue until their faces turn blue about the origin of Christmas, but as this is the Christian practice this time of year and this is what Christians are to believe, I think he had the right to say what he said.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 8:12 AM on Dec. 4, 2011

• The man has the same constitutional rights as the rest of us, and can express any view he wishes, on any subject he wishes, for any motivation he has in mind. And, we all the right to turn of the tv, log off from the computer or walk away from listening to any of it. Im sure it was appropriate to some, not so much to others... Obama is obviously willing to take that chance. But reality is, no matter WHAT he said, it would have been appropriate to some, not so much to others... Thats just the way it is.
    Nimue930

Answer by Nimue930 at 3:43 PM on Dec. 4, 2011

• I don't think it's inappropriate, if those are his personal beliefs. If they are not and he's lying it's not appropriate but that's between him and God. IMO, (don't know the man) it seems awfully convenient that he's really wanting to get re-elected and just now pushing the Christian agenda.
    JackieGirl007

Answer by JackieGirl007 at 1:58 PM on Dec. 4, 2011

• "So long as the gifts and the parties are happening, it’s important for us to keep in mind the central message of this season," he said, "and keep Christ’s words not only in our thoughts, but also in our deeds."

I am really not the worlds biggest Obama fan but I will agree with this last sentence. Party on my Christian friends but remember that Christ is the central reason. The president SAID! 

vntNyll

Comment by vntNyll (original poster) at 7:21 AM on Dec. 4, 2011

• I don't know if Obama is a Christian or not, but do you have to be to be president? Nope? Then don't see how that matters.

As for what he said...he was at a Christmas tree lighting and he is a politician, so he will say to the people what he thinks they want to hear, not necessarily what he believes.
    AllAboutKeeley

Answer by AllAboutKeeley at 7:33 AM on Dec. 4, 2011

• what about the message part?
    vntNyll

Comment by vntNyll (original poster) at 7:38 AM on Dec. 4, 2011

• i disagree with his beliefs, and i dont appreciate him stating them as fact. but i also agree with the above posters; this is more of a political scheme than a religious one.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 7:59 AM on Dec. 4, 2011

• I think:
    * politics and religion should stay separate
    * he shouldn't have to justify his religious views to anyone regardless of what he may or may not be
    * people should stop acting like everyone that is muslum is a terrorist and out to get others (You didn't directly express this, so I am not calling you out in anyway. Its just there are lots of people that are ignorant to this and choose to not embrace the fact that there are many diverse religions amongst us)
    BabyBeans0506

Answer by BabyBeans0506 at 9:31 AM on Dec. 4, 2011

• I don't agree with his ideas on the "reason for this season" but I do know that he has the right to believe and say whatever he wants. His religion/beliefs are not my concern as long as he doesn't go making laws that restrict everyone else's right to the same. As for WHY he said it, I think he is just trying to save face. And, aren't about 90% of the speeches Presidents give written by someone else anyway?
    -Ashley
    spiritguide_23

Answer by spiritguide_23 at 11:02 AM on Dec. 4, 2011