am I starving or overfeeding them?

How many time a day should smaller (15-20 lbs) dogs be fed? I'm feeding them twice a day, not really measuring it but using a big scooper. They are very energetic so I figure they use a lot of energy

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:00 PM on Jan. 9, 2009 in Pets

• I'd ask a vet. Different dogs need different amounts of food based on age, breed, etc. That would probably be your best bet.
    AirmansPrincess

Answer by AirmansPrincess at 7:02 PM on Jan. 9, 2009

• It should tell you on the bag of dog food that you buy how much depending ont he pounds.
    smnice

Answer by smnice at 7:02 PM on Jan. 9, 2009

• Every bag of dog food I've ever gotten has had a recommended feeding schedule on the side of the bag--depending on the size of your dog.
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 11:10 PM on Jan. 9, 2009

• Look on the bag of food. It will have a per day feeding amount that goes according to weight/age/activity level. I have a larger dog and feed twice a day, but smaller dogs could be fed three times a day.
    KTMOM

Answer by KTMOM at 11:20 PM on Jan. 9, 2009

• I have a larger dog as well. The bag says 4-5 cups a day. I have a cup scooper so I split that between two feedings and she stays nice and fit.
    OneToughMami

Answer by OneToughMami at 12:30 AM on Jan. 10, 2009

• On a dog, you should be able to feel their ribs not see them. So as long as you can't see their ribs but they aren't fat I'd say you're doing fine.
    Chrissy629

Answer by Chrissy629 at 7:58 AM on Jan. 10, 2009

• I would go with what the bag says, but keep in mind that some dogs only eat when they are hungry. My parents dog will eat them out of house and home, so he only gets fed once a day. My dog, however, always has a full bowl of food and she eats when she wants and however much she wants.If she was starting to get overweight, then that would change, but she is almost to a healthy weight now. She was a rescue dog and was skin and bones when I got her.
    peppermintmocha

Answer by peppermintmocha at 12:41 AM on Jan. 11, 2009

• I had asked the vet this same question. The vet reccomended me NOT to go by what the bag says. The ammount of food you should feed depends on the dog (size/age/breed just to name a few). Contact a vet, they will tell you what's best for you dog.
    Anonymous

• You should feed them twice a day but about 1c. total for the day. Also check the dog fod bag.
    JulieN17

Answer by JulieN17 at 1:15 AM on Jan. 12, 2009

• Feed them twice daily. What kind of dog is it? Look on the bag. If they are chubby give less than what they say, otherwise you'll just maintain the same wt. I would definitely always measure the food, keep the cup in bag. I give my 8-9lb Chihuahua 1/4 cup twice daily. Don't go by how much energy they have, they're prob. young. Another sign they may be eating too much besides being chubby is how many times a day do they poop? It should only be 2-3 tops.

Vet Tech-need advice?
    luvinher

Answer by luvinher at 9:34 PM on Jan. 12, 2009