Tips on breastfeeding?

I am going to be induced tomorrow to have the baby and i'm nervous about breastfeeding. I've heard the first few weeks are hard and you want to give up. Do you have any tips, Do's and Don'ts?

TiffanyLove18

Asked by TiffanyLove18 at 12:50 AM on Jul. 17, 2008 in Pregnancy

Level 1 (-3 Credits)
  • Do make up your mind if Breastfeeding is for you and DON"T let it scare you! (lol)
    Seriously .. it will curl your toes for the first couple of days. Your nipples aren't use to being tugged on daily. Once you get going, it should be fine and the nurses can give you some pointers. Ask if there is a La Leche League Group or coach you can talk to ahead of time.

Once you know how to get the baby to "latch" on correctly, I think you will be fine. I had one of 4 that did well on their own and two had tiny mouths, so I really had to work at it. It gets better as time goes and you will never find a better way to get close to your baby .. It is a moment that gets stored in those ole' memory banks that nothing can replace! Good luck and CONGRATS!
    MommyAdvisor

Answer by MommyAdvisor at 12:59 AM on Jul. 17, 2008

• my baby is 3 months and i've been so lucky to be able to nurse but it sure was not easy at first. It hurt so bad in the begining I was miserable, then to top the raw nipples she actually began sucking so hard that she ripped the edge around one of my nipples and I had to limit feedings on it until it healed. (If that happens, try to express the injured breast by hand until it heals that way you milk won't diminish) Ultimatly though, it didn't take long at all for my breasts to "toughen up". And I joke about it with my husband but honestly my nipples could take one hell of a beating and i'd never know it now. which means nursing is a breeze, even when my playful girl likes pull boo boo as hard as she can:)
    Hannah-Belle

Answer by Hannah-Belle at 1:10 AM on Jul. 17, 2008

• I never had a problem my DD and I took to it naturally everyone is diff. make sure you let the lactation consultants help they are great!
    ilovemybananer

Answer by ilovemybananer at 2:16 AM on Jul. 17, 2008

• I agree..Do make your mind up that BF is something you want to do.

You have to understand that it probably will hurt at first and be frustrating until you and your baby get the hang of it! Just try to relax as much as possible.

Nurse the baby as soon after birth as possible.

Don't give a paci or bottle while in the hospital. You are all your baby needs and he/she doesn't need to eat alot at the beginning.

When you start to get frustrated just take a deep breath and keep trying. Don't hesitate to call the Lactation Consultant. She can give you some great advice!

You may have a difficult time while your in the hospital but once you get home in familiar territory you may find it is much easier!
    luvnmy3kid

Answer by luvnmy3kid at 10:19 AM on Jul. 17, 2008

• And...I was told that the first 2-3 weeks are the hardest. Your adjusting to a new baby and everything that comes with that and your trying to BF your child which is hard. I believe the first growth spurt is around 2 weeks so be prepared to be feeding alot during that time.

BF is such a great thing for both you and your child! Keep at it, stand your ground at the hospital, and enjoy! You'll do great!
    luvnmy3kid

• Hello there! I had a horrible time trying to breastfeed my daughter at first, I had really bad blisters and was going to throw in the towel when a lovely nurse gave me a nipple shield, BEST THING EVER! I ended up succesfully breastfeeding for a year. I am due to give birth in 11 days and I have already bought two nipple shields for this baby. You can get them at the hospital or Target, shopco, etc. Good luck!
    jokermom

Answer by jokermom at 10:56 AM on Jul. 17, 2008

• Yep. It's hard. But think about it. If this is your first child, you've never breastfed before. And I guarantee you baby has never breastfed before. So you're both beginner's. Sometimes it happens right away, but with my first it took a little over a week to get her to latch. Yes La Lehce League help is great and so are the nipple shields. I stopped using the shields after a day or two.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 5:45 PM on Jul. 17, 2008

• OHHH one more thing Lanolin ointment. Target has it in a purple tube. Great for sore and/or cracked nipples. And you don't have to wipe it off before you nurse. It's safe for baby.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 5:47 PM on Jul. 17, 2008