Is your seven year old always at your elbow?

I turn off the TV at night and we all talk. When I say all I mean my 12 year old and my 7 year old and I, and though I love all the conversations we have my seven year old drives me crazy because he stands just behind me right at my elbow the entire time. Last night I counted the number of times I knocked him in the head and the total was 17. I constantly tell him to give me space because I konk him in the head hard with my elbow, gave him a black eye once. He complains that it hurts and even tells me " ow mom you hit me again!" To which I always say '''then give me a little space to move my arms!" He even does it when I am sitting he stands just behind me at my elbow. The only time I don't konk the kid in the head is when we are eating dinner and he is sitting accross from me.

ednakrabapple

Asked by ednakrabapple at 7:18 PM on Jan. 9, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• hehehehe.... I have a 5 year old that is constanty in the "wrong" place....especially when we are shopping....it drives me INSANE...I am constanty saying, "no mason, over here, get out of his way...scoot over here, let go of the cart," ect ect

But it helps me to remeber.....that one day he wont be there anymore....sniff sniff....he will be pushing his own cart with his family....lol

And one day your son will grow to tall to be hit in the eye by your elbow....so laugh a little....and smile..... ;)
    mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 7:29 PM on Jan. 9, 2009

• My response when our kids stood "too" close was to raise my elbow up ... and back ... and put my arm around them. I grew up in a warm but fairly "hands-off" family, so it felt REALLY great to remind myself to be constantly physical & affectionate as well as verbally kind. You know, helping a youngster tie shoelaces by pulling them into my lap & reaching on either side of them rather than having them stand facing me while I do the double-knot. It didn't come naturally to me; I got irritated at being crowded & instinctively wanted step away so I could "have my space". But once I realized the value of becoming a "safe" refuge for each child whenever the opportunity arose, I was able to overcome the irritation and it fostered in ME an openness AND a sense of strength which I hadn't known about before ...
    waldorfmom

Answer by waldorfmom at 1:08 PM on Jan. 10, 2009

• Mine stands right behind me, actually up my a$$. LOL
    dle4125

Answer by dle4125 at 11:17 PM on Jan. 10, 2009

• My daughter does the same thing. It makes me crazy. I don't know how many dinner plates have ended up on the floor or cups of water. How many times i've wondered if i'd broken her nose or blackened her eye. I have a personal bubble and she is constantly popping it. She is always underfoot. Don't get me wrong I love being around her, but man let a girl have her space....
    hollymmm

Answer by hollymmm at 12:14 AM on Jan. 13, 2009