Left over wine in a decanter question?

For those wine lovers out there this is going to sound like blasphem but on the rare occasion we don't finish our wine once it is poured into the decanter...what is the best way to save it for the next day? Pouring it back into the bottle is just a joke ...will it screw up the flavor if we just put plastic wrap over the top of the decanter? Or is that beyond tacky? Thanks girls

mamakirs

Asked by mamakirs at 7:50 PM on Jan. 9, 2009 in Food & Drink

• We refrigerate the extra wine, and we don't decant it and do seal the bottle when it goes into the refrigerator to keep what is leftover. It can breathe again when we take it out of the refrigerator to warm up to cool room temperature. Here is what I found by googling: "Like all foodstuffs, wine can be preserved by placing it in the refrigerator. Chemical reactions are much less rapid at lower temperatures, and hence the process of oxidation that will eventually make the wine undrinkable occurs much more slowly than it otherwise would. Lowering the temperature of the wine also inhibits the action of acetic bacteria, which threaten to spoil the wine by converting it into vinegar. I think placing the left over wine in the refrigerator is one of the most important steps in preserving it for the following day."
    http://www.thewinedoctor.com/advisory/buystoreopenbottles.shtml
    The article has other wine storage advice, also.

Answer by Bmat at 11:55 PM on Jan. 9, 2009

• Tacky fo sho! Place a napkin or paper towel over it to keep out the dust and drink it the next day or maybe two. Any longer and it isn't even worth drinking. (If you decated it, you wanted it to breathe and get the most out of your wine to begin with, so I'm assuming it is a good wine.)
    stanmom

Answer by stanmom at 7:58 PM on Jan. 9, 2009

• It tis it tis...that's why dumping it isn't an option. I am thinking about maybe trying to find a decanter with the lid..but thus far I don't like the looks of what I have found. They are more like the liquor decanters which then don't have the shape needed to properly breathe the wine. Thanks for the answer.
    mamakirs

Answer by mamakirs at 8:07 PM on Jan. 9, 2009

• You don't have to decant the whole bottle at a time, you know. . .
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 12:29 AM on Jan. 10, 2009