Can I share some good news about one of our OAs?

Had to word that as a question, lol! My son's birth mom hasn't seen him since he was about four months old, and he turned three this last summer. Usually when I've called her it's gone to voice mail, and sometimes she's called back and other times she hasn't. I called her today and she picked up. After I'd talked to her for a while I put our son on the phone. He does have speech issues so most people can't understand much of what he says, but he just chattered and laughed and talked her ear off.

Just the other day I made him a photo album with baby pics of him and a few pics of his birth mom so he can put a face with the name when we talk about her. I am hoping this will get her thinking about a visit sometime in the near future. She sounded more at ease talking to me this time than in the past. We don't want her to be a stranger.

I pray daily for both of my kids' birth moms and their extended families, and I am glad that God brought us all together. Just wanted to share!

Iamgr8teful

Asked by Iamgr8teful at 9:22 PM on Dec. 4, 2011 in Adoption

• I just re-read what I wrote and thought I'd better clarify - the photo album is for my son. I'm hoping the phone conversation will get her thinking about visiting.
    Iamgr8teful

Comment by Iamgr8teful (original poster) at 9:24 PM on Dec. 4, 2011

• Wow. You're a better woman than I..much more patient dealing with the bm. I probably would've stopped long ago.
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 10:25 PM on Dec. 4, 2011

• Hi Dullscissors! We've just kept at it because it's important to us to keep our word, and I've learned a lot from talking with other birth moms here. One is both an adoptee and a birth mom, and she shared that she went through a time when it was just too hard for her to see the daughter she had placed for adoption, but never stopped loving her, of course. She encouraged me to keep trying. Also, just seeing how the open adoption has been a positive experience for my daughter (and all of us), I want that for my son. This is a step in the right direction!
    Iamgr8teful

Comment by Iamgr8teful (original poster) at 11:16 PM on Dec. 4, 2011

• goodYes you may share and yey, good for your son :)

onethentwins

Answer by onethentwins at 3:00 PM on Dec. 5, 2011

• This made me smile :) So happy you talked and she felt more at ease. I am especially happy for your son you have never given up!! I hope a visit is in the near future!! :)
    lilsweetpea708

Answer by lilsweetpea708 at 9:55 PM on Dec. 5, 2011

• Sounds like things are definitely heading in a good direction for all!! Great job!
    AllAboutKeeley

Answer by AllAboutKeeley at 8:04 AM on Dec. 6, 2011

• Oh that is great.I so hope this contact will motivate her to let herself enjoy having contact and knowing yall's son..

Such a caring heart !!!

drfink

Answer by drfink at 2:24 PM on Dec. 6, 2011

• Wonderful! I'm so glad that you didn't give up on your son's other mother. How great for your son that she won't be a stranger in his life one day. I hope this is just the beginning of a new, stronger relationship between all of you.
    susie703

Answer by susie703 at 5:31 PM on Dec. 12, 2011