im 21 weeks. can i sleep on my back sometimes?

wayneisha

Asked by wayneisha at 7:52 PM on Jan. 9, 2009 in Pregnancy

• um i'm pretty sure you can sleep on your back whenever you want...
    smnice

Answer by smnice at 7:53 PM on Jan. 9, 2009

• It is really not recommended to sleep on your back after the 1st trimester.
    WhosYoMomma2Be

Answer by WhosYoMomma2Be at 7:55 PM on Jan. 9, 2009

• I am 33 weeks and still sleep on my back, stomach, however I want. My doc recommends that a put a pillow on one side of my back to elevate it instead of laying flat.
    JD08

Answer by JD08 at 7:56 PM on Jan. 9, 2009

• ok! my stomach isnt really big yet!! but its there!! and when i turn over on my stomach it feels soo different! like im layin on a ball! does pl really lay on their stomach!>
    wayneisha

Answer by wayneisha at 8:11 PM on Jan. 9, 2009

• I ended up on my back every single night, even when I was 40 weeks. I think I even slept on my back on the night before my induction. If that's the only way you can get comfortable, I say go for it. If you're cutting off circulation to your baby, your body will respond and wake you up.
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 8:14 PM on Jan. 9, 2009

• Umm... WHY in the heck would you purposely sleep on your stomach while pregnant? That seems silly to me and laying on your back isn't recommended but if you end up that way then just turn when you realize
    AshJoe05

Answer by AshJoe05 at 8:24 PM on Jan. 9, 2009

• They just talked about this in Pregnancy Buzz, I'd check it out!

I'd say it's not worth risking, even for comforts sake. I stopped sleeping on my back as soon as I got pregnant, just so it would be less of an issue later. I wedged my body next to my husband's and hugged a body pillow...I actually ended up sleeping more comfortably than I normally did, lol!

It's ok if you end up on your back while you sleep, just turn back to your side. :)
    KatieCrandall

Answer by KatieCrandall at 8:26 PM on Jan. 9, 2009

• AshJoe05: I don't purposely sleep on my stomach. I wake up in that position! My OB knows that I still sleep on my stomach and she said that if my body didn't want me to it would let me know. I am not big for being 33 weeks, so I sometimes wake up on my stomach. Even if I use pillows, etc it still happens.
    JD08

Answer by JD08 at 8:48 PM on Jan. 9, 2009

• I am 32 weeks and I lie on my back most of the night. I like having a pillow under my knees to take pressure off of my uterus, but other than that, no problem. Sometimes I even set the pillows up to where I can sleep on my stomach.
    bluelady27

Answer by bluelady27 at 9:13 PM on Jan. 9, 2009