low fluid testing

So i have an appointment to see a specialist next week and i think this is what they are going to be doing to me a amniocentesis which is a test they do on your amniotic fluid. has anyone ever gone through this before im really scared now because of the side affects and stuff.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:12 PM on Jan. 9, 2009 in Pregnancy

• Did they tell you it was going to be an amnio? It IS a risky procedure, but it sounds like they're sending you to the best person for it, so I wouldn't worry too much. Better to have it done and correct any issues you may have than to just let it go, you know?

You're going to be ok, Mama. You know that. :)
    KatieCrandall

Answer by KatieCrandall at 8:18 PM on Jan. 9, 2009

• OR you could avoid the amino at all costs and let it in God's hands.
    Anonymous

• Im not sure they just said that i have low amniotic fluid and they want to know why so they said they were sending me to some specialist i think thats what they called it in the clinic.
    Anonymous

• Start drinking tons of water!! The doc told me that would help me last time, I had low fluid, she had Trisomy 18 though. I also wouldn't do the amnio, I would ask for ANY other suggestions before I did that
    AshJoe05

Answer by AshJoe05 at 8:27 PM on Jan. 9, 2009

• They'll probably try to measure with other equipment before they go the amnio route, doc's aren't big fans of risky procedures, either!
    KatieCrandall

Answer by KatieCrandall at 8:28 PM on Jan. 9, 2009

• I hope so because i have read tons of information and talked to some other people on this issue and it scares me to think that they can kill my baby and harm him even more so yeah. I have another appoinment with my doctor before this big test in the cities so hopefully i don't have to do that because i know i want my baby to be safe, and am scared because i have been pregnant 2 times before this and no live births but still i lost them in like the first 8-10 weeks so yeah im scared but i don't wnat to do anyting that will hurt my baby boy.
    Anonymous

• I had it done when I was preg with my daughter, I had to ride ambulance to Morgantown, because mine was really low, there are many different reasons that your fluid could be low and drinking alot of water may or may not help I drank lots of water. My situation was a little out of the ordinary and infact the doctors at WVU said they have never seen such a thing, I had cysts on the umbilical cord that was taking all the fluid and nutriants from the baby so we had to have an emergency C section. Don't worry like I said everyone is different and your could be something simple like not drinking enough water
    determind

Answer by determind at 8:33 PM on Jan. 9, 2009

• I know when i found out i had low fluid it was because i was dehydrated they pumped fluid into me that day and sent me home with bed rest and drink atleast 90 oz of water a day. My level as of today is at 9.53. I was told by my doctor and nurses that it isn't considered dangerous it just is low im still in the safe zone they just want to know why it is happening and what they can do to prevent any more fluid loss. I am 22 1/2 weeks pregnant and they found out it was low 2 weeks ago before christmas and it has been between 8.00-10.00 in the last two weeks so i don't but its still scary you know??
    Anonymous

• I had amniocentis done with three out of four high risk pregnancies. It is a 1 in 200 odd that something will go wrong. My third child was the challenge. Not 11 hours after the procedure my membranes started to leak. I was rushed back to the hospital at christmas 2000 and proceeded to spend the next three weeks there on bed rest with Mg sulfate drip to stop the contractions. I delivered in May 2001. It is a risk but as far as the procedure goes: a little cramping, no pain. I opted for no numbing meds. I did not need to be stuck twice. It was over in a few minutes. I had three amnios with my last girl to check for chromosme disorders and lung maturity. You'll be fine. The key is to relax and breathe. The tighter you make your abdominal muscles the harder it is for needle to insert. Hope this helps.

equusvetgal

Answer by equusvetgal at 9:41 PM on Jan. 9, 2009