Minority........Race or Numbers?

I read somewhere that within the next ten years whites will become the minority (in numbers). So it got me thinking....Do whites then get the minority benefits (affermative action type stuff)? Is being a minorty a RACE thing or a NUMBER thing? Are you cionsidered a minorty because of what has happened throughout history or by how many people there are of your race? Not trying to start problems so please don't be ugly! Just want some honest opinions!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:14 PM on Jan. 9, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• Minority is based on the NUMBERS of people of different RACES. ie are there more whites than blacks & hispanics?

Minority is not based on history. Minority is decided by the number of people of each race in a country.
    Anonymous

• I think that it could be justified from both angles. I do believe that the minority typically speaks to the numbers, however I am not for affirmative action so it wouldn't effect me if it were to switch. BTW I do not believe in affirmative Action in this day and time. I think that it did have it's relevance but at this point in time I would rather be hired on my merit than b/c a company needed one more female to reach a quota. I think that president elect Obama speaks highly to the point that Affirmative Action is no longer needed. Go Obama!:)
    micrespo

Answer by micrespo at 8:19 PM on Jan. 9, 2009

• Soooooo...if this i true, in ten years WHITES will qualify for the affirmative action and other benefits and blacks and/or hispanics will be turned down?
    Anonymous

• if there are more blacks than whites & more hispanics than whites, yes. but really... are the blacks and hispanics suddenly gonna have a baby boom and whites stop procreating? LOL
    Anonymous

• To some its a number thing and some its your race dependin on who you talk. In my opinion its a numbers thing. In Baton Rouge, LA---white are now the minority. That was based of the last cencus report. Do I believe we will be entitled to any affermative action type stuff, NO. JMO.
    Anonymous

• I dont believe in Affermative Action anyway. Thats why I said no.
    Anonymous

• OK so the data says that by 2045 "non- white" will out number whites....lol, a little bit longer than what I thought! BUT no one ethnic group will out number whites. So would that still make them a minority? They would be in the minority to the minority's. LMAO....this is starting to confuse me! But that wasn't really the point of the question. I really just wondered if you thought it was a number or a race thing?

Anonymous

• well the first response told you how Minority is calculated. so if that's what you were asking, choose it as best answer and close the question.
    Anonymous

• This is way over-thinking things.

Who cares. We're all human. Hopefully by 2045 more people realize that.
    Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 8:39 PM on Jan. 9, 2009

• OK smarty butt anon I was asking OPINIONS. That was those peoples opinions if the number were to flop next week would you still consider blacks the minorty due to thier race or would you say numbers are the ONLY way to go and there for they lose benefits?
    Anonymous