How expensive are fertility consults and most treatments?

My husband and I have been TTC for 5 years and have been unsuccesful. Recently, my grandmother told me that she wants a great-grandchild and is more than willing to pay for fertility treatments. The woman has money and without a doubt could pay for it, but I would like to know, before I take her up on the offer, approximately how much we are talking. Does anyone know how much even for a consult?

medmaster2006

Asked by medmaster2006 at 8:26 PM on Jan. 9, 2009 in Trying to Conceive

• our insurance did not pay at all...we did four rounds of iui (intrauterine insemination), and all told it cost us approximately $3500.00 to conceive our twins. if iui doesn't work and you have to do ivf (in-vitro fertilization), it can cost around $15,000 per try. these are tennessee prices. hope this helps...good luck!
    tstep972

Answer by tstep972 at 11:33 PM on Jan. 13, 2009

• My visits and meds were no more than 5,000, but my insurance paid for it. Depends on health insurance they might pick some of it up. Good luck with everything.
    JD08

Answer by JD08 at 9:14 PM on Jan. 9, 2009

• I can cost from $100's to several $1000's, it all depends on the type of treatment you get. As for the initial consult where you go in and talk to a Dr. and see what they can offer you, before you actually undergo any testing, will probably be just a couple hundred dollars. The Dr can give you a better idea after they come up with a plan of action for your specific case. Good luck!
    two_girls

Answer by two_girls at 10:33 PM on Jan. 9, 2009

• I would geuss a consult would probably be no more than $200, and even less if you have insurance. Treatment cost can vary considerably depending on what problems you are facing and what treatments you are willing to try, and depending on whether you have insurance and what it covers. You can call the fertility doctors office and ask about their prices. They can tell you how much a basic consult costs. They may be able to tell you how much various standard testing costs. They may also be able to give you a list of all the treatment options they offer and the estimated costs for each, but without knowing which ones will be recommended to you it won't tell you much more than it may cost anywhere from $100 to $30,000 per cycle, and there is no way to know inadvance how many cycles it will take. Some clinics have a person who will discuss these things with you before you make your first appointment. Good luck!
    TweenAndTwinMom

Answer by TweenAndTwinMom at 3:21 PM on Jan. 10, 2009