high blood pressure

I'm 39 wks and at my drs appt today I had high blood pressure (after eating a Mc D's cheeseburger, fries and sweet tea--I know). I told him what I had eaten and let him know that it's not usually in my diet, but he said that if that caused my blood pressure to spike that other things may have too. He asked that I go in for fetal monitoring on Monday, and he may ask me to stay and induce. I show no signs of labor (effacement/dilation) and my blood pressure has been perfect until now. I cant remember what it was today (blurr once the dr started acting concerned) but I remember thinking that it was within 10 of what it was last time, 122/82. What are my chances of cesarean with no signs of labor? Effects of high blood pressure on baby? anybody ever have this test? Advice? Your experience? What questions should I have for Dr?

Christina2135

Asked by Christina2135 at 8:37 PM on Jan. 9, 2009 in Pregnancy

• CONTINUED - I had no signs of labor which was not really a good thing (by the way my dr. was acting) but it had to be done. He asked if I was sick (b/c of my bp being so high) and I told him no. He said a girl down the hall had half of my bp and she was vomiting. They do not let bp get very high with a baby. As for the fetal monitoring if it is what I had it is easy. They strap a "belt" on you and it has a disk that lays on the stomach. That disk monitors the heartbeat and gives that info to a computer where it shows how high the contractions are. Pretty interesting... You have to lay there for a while but you are by yourself except for when they come to check the monitor. Looks like the screens in the hospitals where it shows if you are flatlining - like mountains.
    SuperBamaMom

Answer by SuperBamaMom at 8:54 PM on Jan. 9, 2009

• Sorry, there are no solid numbers for any of that. It all depends on you.

High blood pressure can be very dangerous for both of you, it's not something to mess with!

My cousin ended up with high blood pressure at the end of her pregnancy and had to be induced (she was planning on having a home water birth and had to give that up). She had a long labor, but ended up delivering a perfectly healthy baby without drugs, actually!
    KatieCrandall

Answer by KatieCrandall at 8:41 PM on Jan. 9, 2009

• I was doing fine during my pregnancy until I went for my sugar test in my 5th month. I failed 3 of the 4 tests and had to attend a gestational diabetes class. They put me on kind of strict diabetic diet. I pretty much could eat what I wanted but had to stay away from the things that triggered my sugar. I had to prick my finger 4 times a day and write down the sugar results. I started going to the dr. once a week and they would check me too. Closer to the end they did the fetal monitoring (if mine is the same as yours). One day I drove to my dr. for a regular weekly appt. and my bp was off the charts. I had to be taken right away b/c of the bp and I had gotten toximia. My son was taken by C-section that night. My parents and husband had to RUSH to make it in time.
    SuperBamaMom

Answer by SuperBamaMom at 8:49 PM on Jan. 9, 2009

• CONTINUED - I mainly would ask him if there are things that you need to look for - any kind of signs. High bp is not good at all, not good for you or the baby. That is why I had to have an emergency c-section. High bp leads to toximia which is really bad. You just need to ask about all of this. Have your family, husband, bags, etc. with you when you go from now on b/c you never know. Toximia (protein in the urine) and preeclampsia are the same things. This is a good website to answer some questions:
    http://www.babycenter.com/0_gestational-hypertension-pregnancy-induced-hypertension_1427402.bc
    SuperBamaMom

Answer by SuperBamaMom at 9:00 PM on Jan. 9, 2009

• that happen to me too but it went bad because the day i was in labor my blood pressure was going up and up and up and i ended having sezures i think its called preaclampsia or somthing like that it was soo scary because i never had sezures before but thank god my son was fine and i eneded up with an emergency c-section !!! im not trying to scare you !!! but just be careful and get it checked!!!!
    nelly_19

Answer by nelly_19 at 9:11 PM on Jan. 9, 2009