• In the Spotlight:

Holding own bottle

Not sure if there is a milestone for this (and don't really care if there is), but are infants around 6 months holding their own bottles? My daughter is just about to turn 6 months and she has shown NO desire to even try and hold the bottle, she almost pulls her hands away when I try to place them on a bottle, however, I have noticed that some of my friends kids are holding their bottles at her age. When did your child start? And if she doesn't start, will it affect her ability to transition to a sippy cup (I know, I am thinking WAY to far ahead :)) Thanks.

rabbate

Asked by rabbate at 8:52 PM on Jan. 9, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• my 6 month old has been holding hers for over a month, BUT my cousin is 10 months, hates a sippy and refuses to hold his own bottle! he is so stubborn that he will drop it if he doesnt want to hold it. i wouldnt worry
    Anonymous

• my son is 10mths and i've tried everything for months to get him to his.its not a milestone so I wouldnt worry with that, but I hear alot of babies dont hold their own bottles. Maybe she just wants to be near you.I asked the same question a couple days ago.I was told its ok...give her some time
    sara3308

Answer by sara3308 at 9:05 PM on Jan. 9, 2009

• Even when your baby is able to hold her own bottle, still, hold it for her. Feeding is supposed to be a bonding time.
    Anonymous

• lol My daughter holds her own she's 8 months, can't remember when she started as she is mostly breastfed. I think you daughter may just be letting you know she is a little princess and you should be the one holding her bottle. Don't bother her with trivial things like that! lol My other DD was like that and now at 3 she is very much a princess!
    AmandaH321

Answer by AmandaH321 at 9:18 PM on Jan. 9, 2009

• My son attempted to hold his bottle when he was about 5 months, but thats because I would do the "stuffed animal trick" where I would prop the bottle up on a stuffed animal while I was cooking dinner or something, lol (And yes, I've heard that this could be dangerous, but for my kid it was never a problem, he would just knock it away if he was full or it was empty or whatever). So he just got so he was kinda balancing it, and that evolved into holding it. He kinda has a hard time holding it when he's sitting though, if its a 9oz bottle. He's ok with the 5oz, but the 9 is just too long for him. I don't really think it matters if they're holding it or not. My friend's kid is about 9 months and she STILL holds his bottle (althought I think thats more because she feels guilty about not breastfeeding anymore). And props to you for not sweating if its a milestone or not!
    mambearwhitt4

Answer by mambearwhitt4 at 9:48 PM on Jan. 9, 2009

• my son has tried to feed himself since birth adn gets pretty frustrated when we try to help him. It comes at different times for each baby. I would just encourage her to try to hold it. I definitely wouldnt worry though. My girlfriends nine month old still wasnt crawling and now 2 months later he is WALKING. Dont compare notes too much :)
    humaniterian87

Answer by humaniterian87 at 9:49 PM on Jan. 9, 2009

• My daughter started holding her own bottle at 5 months and now at 9 months she thinks she is ready to just use a cup unless really tired. My son started holding his own bottle at about 4 months old and started using a cup at about 8 months, but didn't totally get rid of his bottle until he was 17 months. I would say don't worry about it if she isn't holding it on her own, each child is different and develops differently.
    mommyuphold

Answer by mommyuphold at 9:50 PM on Jan. 9, 2009