Terrible two's.....

my son is 28 months now but ever since he was about 8 months he's been having this serious attitude problem.temper tantrum is not the word for him when he gets mad he throws his head into the wall or growls at us,even throw stuff down.i can deal with the growling and throwing but the throwing his head into the wall worries me.his pediatrician has seen him do this and says he has behavioral problemsbut can't be sure until he's 5 and get tested but i can't wait 3 years.does anyone have any advice on what to do.

vincenme

Asked by vincenme at 8:55 PM on Jan. 9, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Um...my sons are going through evaluations for issues and they're currently 3 and 4. We started a year ago. No...he does not have to wait until he's 5!!

Call Early Intervention in your area. If not listed, you can get the number through your school district. The earlier he gets help, the better!!!

Seek out a pediatric psychologist....we've had great luck with ours for our oldest! He has impulsive behaviors and through behavior modification/management we've had some luck.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 5:49 AM on Jan. 10, 2009

• I would get a second opinion about that! You are your childs advocate. Pediatricians are people too and people make mistakes. My child has a disorder and I have seen kids younger than 5 in therapy for behavorial problems. Maybe not as young as your son, but I would still check it out. My second daughter also has a temper and she is 22mo old. She also throws herself on the ground and will thro things when she is mad. That part I think is somewhat normal but the head bashing thing is not! Goodluck!
    Mitomom2

Answer by Mitomom2 at 10:20 PM on Jan. 9, 2009

• Was he eating table food at 8 months? The reason I ask is because I read an article about how some children have an intolerance to certain foods, gluten, wheat ect. That intolerance can cause some children to act out. I would google it or maybe webmd it and read up on it just to see if that could be an issue. Like the other poster said I would get a second opinion for sure. Good luck and I hope that you can find out what's causing the outburst.
    ZakZaksmom

Answer by ZakZaksmom at 12:04 AM on Jan. 10, 2009

• Lex will scream and say NOOOOO for nothing at all she will point at me and her dad lol
    she will boss me around and say...come here ...now....or....do that now!!
    i dont know where she is getting it from but i took tv away lol
    LexsiesMommy

Answer by LexsiesMommy at 5:12 AM on Jan. 10, 2009

• My son did/does the same thing, his pediatricain saw him do it and said he is just having a hard time expressing his anger and it was nothing to worry about, one time we were outside and he was mad b/c i told him he couldn't turn the hose on and he HEADBUTTED THE BRICK HOUSE 3 TIMES! I was scared to death he was going to have a concusion but he was fine and he went on about his day, at one point I was seriously considering making him wear a helmet b/c he was contantly headbutting something or throwin his entire body to the ground w/ no regard to the surface on which he was standing on. He is 29 months now and still does it but not nearly as much as he did when he was like 10 months- 24 months
    Nicholeb211

Answer by Nicholeb211 at 9:41 AM on Jan. 10, 2009