• In the Spotlight:

I have a 7 year old son. Does not like school at all.

He is very defiant at school, does not do his school work, and he fights with other boys. He was suspended today, for 3 days. For fighting with another boy. What should i do?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:59 PM on Jan. 9, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• what a young age to be so agressive and violent. Maybe theres more to it, is he getting made of at school? If he shows no violent or angry behavior at home I would sit down and talk to him about what goes on at school. If he's just generally violent or angry he needs to see a counselor or doctor. My little brother was angry at abou the same age, We waited to act on it, we put him in anger management 3 years later and it was too late. it took us 6 years after that to get him to snap out of the violent/angry/alot more characteristics. Best to act now.
    Anonymous

• If it was my child I would talk to him and find out why he feels the way he does, I would talk about why I am not able to homeschool him and the positives of public school vs. homeschooling. If that did not change his attitude I would make his life miserable for the next three days so that school was better than being home at that point.
    vbongard

Answer by vbongard at 9:08 PM on Jan. 9, 2009

• You really need to get to the reason behind WHY he's acting out like that. There's got to be some underlying issue there.

If things just keep going down the drain, then maybe homeschooling is a good option for your family? Talk with him about it before you make any decisions and be sure to include him in the process. There are SO many different styles for homeschooling. It isn't "one-size-fits-all".
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 9:11 PM on Jan. 9, 2009

• Hi,
    Escluding deeper issues with your son, not knowing the entire picture, I would strongly suggest you to read this book "The Trouble With Boys" by Peg Tyre. It might have a lot of answers about your child situation in school. It doesn't seem to a problem only your son has.

AtHomeArchitect

Answer by AtHomeArchitect at 9:29 PM on Jan. 9, 2009

• you should punish him for being suspended and you should also try and find out if something else is happing at school and thats why he dont like it .maybe have a conference with the teacher .maybe other kids are making fun of him .....good luck with this
    britme1027

Answer by britme1027 at 9:44 PM on Jan. 9, 2009

• Well you need to reevaluate how you are disciplining and if you are being consistent. At 7 kids tend to mimic mom and dad. Are you or the child's father aggressive in anyway? If so you need to watch how you react in front of your child. Do you treat school as a chore. If you do that could make the child think it is a chore. Your child is very young so I would wager something is going on at home to make the child upset and this is more about that than school.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:41 AM on Jan. 10, 2009

• Im sorry but there is something very wrong with a 7 year old getting suspended for three days for fighting. IF this is not a "learned behavior" from the lifestyle he is exposed to ~ Take your child to the doctor get a physical done, make sure there is not problems with his sugar (diabetes can cause kids to act out). Talk with your doctor about further testing. There is obviously a problem and it needs to be taken care of now. Have you addressed this with his teacher? What does the school have to offer children with emotional issues? Im suprised if this has been an ongoing problem that they havent suggested the above. If this is learned behavior, then the adults should be ashamed of themselves.
    mistynights234

Answer by mistynights234 at 11:21 AM on Jan. 10, 2009

• The 5 love languages of children is a great book. Children will act out if they are not feeoing loved to get attention. Also my son was like this at the same age, but I expected it because his dad had just passed away. So has he had something tramatic happen recently? Like a death of a loved one or pet. Did you move or start him in a new school?
    Soniam301

Answer by Soniam301 at 9:23 PM on Jan. 10, 2009

• I agree with ReneeK3
    Laura1229

Answer by Laura1229 at 2:21 AM on Jan. 11, 2009

• i would have to say take him to your local police station and have one of the officers there talk to him and let him know what will happen to him if he doesnt behave in school and later on in life it may seem a bit mean and all but when i was 5 i did the same thing too my mother and she did that too me and trust me it worked big time never once gave my teacher or bus drive shit again
    greeniemommy

Answer by greeniemommy at 12:40 PM on Jan. 11, 2009