Do you think it's okay for teachers to yell at students?

I know of some teachers who raise their voices at students, daycare providers as well. While I understand teachers get frustrated, I don't think it should be a common practice to raise voices in a classroom setting. It seemed to me, while having this conversation with others, that I was in the minority, or at the very least, people didn't find it as problematic as I did. I tend to think that they're a professional and should have other means of communicating rather than raising their voices. What do you think?

MeandMyBabes

Asked by MeandMyBabes at 1:06 PM on Dec. 5, 2011 in Parenting Debate

• I consider yelling at a student verbal abuse and no do not believe it should ever be done.

Answer by gemgem at 1:07 PM on Dec. 5, 2011

• I think that most teachers do the very best they can to balance the needs and wants and expectations of students, parents, administrators PLUS actually teach. I don't like it when teachers and daycare providers yell at students but sometimes its the only way to get a students attention. I feel so sorry for teachers.
    meooma

Answer by meooma at 1:08 PM on Dec. 5, 2011

• I guess it depends on the person's version of yelling. If they are raising their voice or having to scold the class, I see nothing wrong with it. If they are truly yelling, then yes, there is something wrong with that.

JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 1:09 PM on Dec. 5, 2011

• There's a difference between just yelling at students & raising your voice so the class will listen & know that you mean business. I see nothing wrong with the latter.
    3libras

Answer by 3libras at 1:22 PM on Dec. 5, 2011

• To me its according to what kind of tone they are using. I agree with JeremysMOM that if its to get the classes attention then Yeah I think its okay. But if they are yelling just to be yelling with an ugly tone or in a way that says Im having a bad day so Im gonna take it out on the students then no that is wrong!!! I have a philosophy that I have repeated to teachers many times over the years and here it is....Teachers should not be allowed to do things to their students that if a parent did it we would be facing child abuse charges and get our kids takin away from us....but thats just my opinion!!!
    Fairymom32

Answer by Fairymom32 at 1:28 PM on Dec. 5, 2011

• There is a big difference between just yelling and being disrespectful to a child. I have yelled before, what Mom hasn't?
    SherrieMomof2

Answer by SherrieMomof2 at 1:37 PM on Dec. 5, 2011

• There is a difference between raising your voice to get a child's attention and screaming at them. The latter is not OK with me.
    Nos4

Answer by Nos4 at 1:43 PM on Dec. 5, 2011

• Depends how many times they have requested the child to do said action before yelling.
    dilateyourmind

Answer by dilateyourmind at 2:05 PM on Dec. 5, 2011

• There are 30 kids in some of these classrooms. Good luck trying to lead a classroom without occasionally raising your voice. Keeping a few children focused on an activity can be difficult. Keeping 30 on track while talking politely isn't going to happen 100% of the time. If my children were yelled at in class, I wouldn't worry about scolding the teacher...my first question would be to my 'darlings' asking them what they were doing that warranted it.

Sorry, JMHO.
    Mom-2-3-Girlz

Answer by Mom-2-3-Girlz at 2:23 PM on Dec. 5, 2011

• I don't see anything wrong with it. I have worked as a teachers assistant before I got married. I wasn't required to teach students, I would just be checking their homework, and making weekly plan for the class teacher. But I would be sitting in the class doing my own work. And boy did the students give the class teacher a hard time! I have been in 3rd grade, 4th grade , 5th grade and 6th grade. Some students are angles and others, not so much. I have a son now and I can't control him at times. A teacher controlling a whole class of 15-25 kids! With alot of kids having serious issues. If a teahcer yells at kids or raises her voice to get everyone to listen to her, theres no harm in that. But picking on one kid or swatting him/hitting him. Then theres a problem
    cookie269

Answer by cookie269 at 2:58 PM on Dec. 5, 2011