• In the Spotlight:

Did you marry someone of a different belief than you?

Did you fight over it? Disagree? How did you balance it out? Or did you try to convert each other?
I'm just curious. I married someone of the same beliefs as I.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:15 PM on Jan. 9, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• yes I did. we have very interesting religious debates but no fighting. no we do not try to convert each other, why would we? we knew what we were getting into from the start, why would we expect each other to change.
    Anonymous

• I am Christian and DH is Athiest. I knew that when I married him so I dont try to convert him. Sometimes we get into really heated discussions about our beliefs but we still manage to get along. He doesnt mind me taking the kids to church but he wont go. Its not really a big deal to me.
    Anonymous

• Religion never came up until over a year after we were married and I found out he is an atheist like me!
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 9:22 PM on Jan. 9, 2009

• Thats funny that you asked. I am atheist and my husband used to be until something happened to him in Iraq. He is now Christian. He does not try to change my beliefs but does talk to me about it. We DO NOT argue about it. We have great respect for eachother about it.
    Anonymous

• Well, we're not married yet, but we might as well be lol. We're engaged to be engaged.

When we got together, I was a non-practicing Christian. He's agnostic. We debated and argued and fought like cats and dogs many many times. Then after I joined CafeMom, I began to realize that I was actually agnostic like he was. It was incredibly difficult for me to "come out" to him, but I'm glad that he accepted me and loves me even more for being honest with myself :o]
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 9:47 PM on Jan. 9, 2009

• My husband is an Atheist and although I was born Catholic I don't define myself with any specific religion. I am spiritual and do believe in God but I don't push him into believing. Our son has exposure to spirituality as well by my doing of course & he knows Daddy's an Atheist but he has an understanding of the why's well as much as a child can have.

My hubby doesn't intervene or get upset. We both agreed I can expose him to God and faith and if it's for him when he gets older he can pursue it but if he wants to change his beliefs those would be his choices and it won't change how we feel about him or each other as a family.
    HazyPerception

Answer by HazyPerception at 9:50 PM on Jan. 9, 2009

• Is indifferent a religion? I am pretty sure that's what my DH is! I am Catholic and he has gone along when I baptized the kids but he doesn't attend church with us. He believes in God but believes the church (any church) is corrupt. It was never an issue till we had kids. I am really disappointed he doesnt go. I would love to have that as a family day of church and meal an relaxing......he makes it for the meal and relaxing part!

momof030404

Answer by momof030404 at 9:51 PM on Jan. 9, 2009

• Yup. We've never had problems because he respects me, I respect him, & we are in agreement with how to raise our kids.
    Laura1229

Answer by Laura1229 at 10:02 PM on Jan. 9, 2009

• Yes, I did. Dh and I are different races/cultures/beliefs. I always say we are eclectic... dh's family is from India, his parents are Hindu (of the 'non-practicing variety for the most part) and dh is an atheist. My family background is Scottish/Polish, my parents are non-practicing Christians (Catholic and Protestant) and I practice Buddhism.

Quite honestly, beliefs have never been a problem for us. I respect dh's beliefs and would not seek to change them, dh respects my belief and would not seek to change them, and we agree on how we want to raise the kids. Actually the hardest thing for us about being in an 'eclectic' marriage is in familial expectations... for instance his parents have very different cultural views on what our priorities should be and that is difficult for us sometimes. But it's culturally based and not based in religion.
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 10:55 PM on Jan. 9, 2009

• I am a Christian and hubby was a new believer when we married. Our problem is we are not at the same level of spiritual maturity. God is working here though.
    JCRestoredme

Answer by JCRestoredme at 11:23 PM on Jan. 9, 2009