Is there a risk to living near a crematorium?

My city has knocked down the idea of them building one here once and now they are trying again but it is JUST outside the city limits so it is up to the county. It is right across (A major road- 4 lanes very busy) from a neighborhood entrance and so people are pitching a FIT over it. Is there a GOOD reason to be upset. The thing is they want to turn an old real estate building into a funeral home and build a crematory in the back. You wouldn't see it. The building it's self is all ready there. I have tried to look up health risk and I all I could find was _maybe_ mercury would be emitted but it was an article from 2004. They are also worried about smell- I could find nothing on that subject. the other complaint was noise- What I have been able to find is that old crematories have been loud but they have become MUCH quieter plus, hello, 4 lane road RIGHT there... I don't know.

1) would you object to this being build near you
2) Is there really a healthy risk
3) Are these people blowing this out of proportion

Feel free to recat. I have no idea where to put this.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:05 PM on Dec. 5, 2011 in Home & Garden

• I think people blow most things out of proportion. I think it really boils down to they are skeeved out about the burning bodies but are looking for another reason so they don't look like idiots. I wouldnt object to one being near us at all.
    Mrs_Harsh

Answer by Mrs_Harsh at 3:09 PM on Dec. 5, 2011

• If it's vented properly I wouldn't have a problem with it.
    Brawnwyn

Answer by Brawnwyn at 3:11 PM on Dec. 5, 2011

• I don't have any expertise, but by grandparents were cremated, and the crematorium was in the middle of the city. I grew up there and never noticed anything. Sounds like a pretty quiet business. As for the health effects, those kind of places are inspected so you should be fine. I don't think I'd have a problem with it. I think people sometimes have a knee-jerk reation to things without really getting information first. It's nice to see someone investigate first!
    Ann3753

Answer by Ann3753 at 3:13 PM on Dec. 5, 2011

• there is no health risk
    wouldn't bother me. I used to live behind a funeral home. Creepy,but safe

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 3:16 PM on Dec. 5, 2011