please help my daughters in pain

my 6 1/2 month old daughter is screaming when she has to poop. She will scream and shake. What do I do to help her? Please help me.

MadeylnsMom

Asked by MadeylnsMom at 9:30 PM on Jan. 9, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• call your pedatrician RIGHT NOW. and ask him if you should take her to the emergency room.
    krazyash023

Answer by krazyash023 at 9:31 PM on Jan. 9, 2009

• you should call her pedi they mite be able to put her on something to help her poop ...good luck with that
    britme1027

Answer by britme1027 at 9:32 PM on Jan. 9, 2009

• She is probably constipated. MY peda told me to give her a tiny bit of mineral oil to help soften her stool. If that doesnt help then call your peda.
    Morgan.

Answer by Morgan. at 9:33 PM on Jan. 9, 2009

• I feel for you, I'm going through the same with my daughter lately. Look up some infant or baby massage techniques. It will help her, probably not cure her. Give her more water during the day and fruits. If she is formula fed switch to a low iron formula.
    Good luck with your DD. I also will put my DD's knees to her chest and put some pressure so it can help her push it out, then I'll jiggle her legs to relax her and keep doing that till she is done.
    Put plenty of cream on her bum even if she has no rash as a preventative to tears. She has a chance of tears to her rectum and that will make things more painful for her.
    AmandaH321

Answer by AmandaH321 at 9:39 PM on Jan. 9, 2009

• This is gross but it works. I'd get a baby wipe and wipe her butt or stimulate her rectum, it really makes them poop.
    LaurenKaye29

Answer by LaurenKaye29 at 9:47 PM on Jan. 9, 2009

• call your pedi...and try her on juice...another lil thing..I heard Karo syrup will do it, but just a lil bit .I tried it on my son, it worked and my sis-in-law has always done it. My baby is fine so whatever works just dont do all of them at once...you'll have a mess!!lol
    sara3308

Answer by sara3308 at 9:49 PM on Jan. 9, 2009

• for the pain part...I'd ask the doc bout that one, but it could be constpation
    Anonymous

• I would call the pediatrican just to make sure nothing is up, but really, make sure she is hydrated during the day and getting plenty of liquids. It might be that she is on too many new solids or something like that. Either way, when my kid is screaming about something that should happen naturally, I tend to take him to the doctors, better safe than sorry!
    mambearwhitt4

Answer by mambearwhitt4 at 9:52 PM on Jan. 9, 2009

• karo doesn't work. my first DD had constipation issues for several years. she was on prescription laxatives. doc told me karo doesn't work. i give her miralax, which is now OTC. it really works well for chronic but for emergency situations, i'd ask about milk of magnesia--you can add chocolate syrup to it to make it taste better. as a last resort, try glycerine suppositories but be forewarned, they are NOT comfortable and do NoT get the stimulant kind. they cause muscle spasms in their rectum to push the poo out and it HURTS.
    Up her water (not juice, too many calories and sugar) and fiber and go easy on bananas--they are bad constipators. oatmeal works good, too!
    Pieta0227

Answer by Pieta0227 at 1:08 AM on Jan. 10, 2009

• Well my daughter has had a lot of problems with constipation, the main thing that has worked for me is mixing prune juice with water and giving her that. My doctor also suggested Milk of magniesium, I haven't had to try it yet but it's a suggestion.
    kitter

Answer by kitter at 12:01 AM on Jan. 11, 2009